Attaching a SP or HB

Abs

One of my favourite fish to catch is the bream. My boat is even named “ dream for bream”.

ive never been into lure fishing, but can’t resist trying it out after watching hours of videos online of big bream being caught in the harbour. I would like some advice on attaching a lure. Knots and leader strengths. Even rod and reel recommmendations. From the main line (braid) what happens next?

Any lure suggestions? I have been bait fishing my whole life sadly and I’m really keen to try this out. 

Thanks in advance 

first step is to learn either an FG knot or Albright knot to attach leader material to to your braid..you don't have to use braid..i use 4lb or 6lb mono for bream...then look up various loop knots..i use a Homer Rhodes..very easy very effective...from there you have a choice of hundreds of lures...use the search function and you will find many many tips..just recently this subject has been brought up a few times..pan thru saltwater lure fishing section...rick

I use loop knots for hardbodies and standard snug knots on jigheads. I find that is the way to make them both swim best. My favourite snug knot is the uni knot, easy to tie, fairly strong, not hard to stuff up. The best loop knot is the rapala knot, a bit hard to learn but the strongest loop knot.

Knots to your lures can depend on what action the lure / or what you want the lure to do .....

Uni knot straight to the lure for the higher speed retrieve ones ...

The "Rapala" Loop Knot if your lure has / or you want plenty of movement / action from it .....

Both are very easy simple knots to master ....

Cheers

Great_White

17 minutes ago, Abs said:

thanks a lot all, this is really useful. If i am using braid, how much leader should i tie on. I like to use fluro carbon to be extra sneaky. 

Good rule of thumb is a rod length and a half. You can add a bit more if you like to change lures very frequently like me, because a rod length and a half can become half a rod length very quickly when you are retying all the time. I change my leaders when they get shorter than about 1.5-2m.

Re leader length, i do similar to above but not quite as long.

i like to make it so the albright knot is just off of the reel when about to cast so depending how much line you want hanging out the end of rod to cast comfortably will dictate the length of leader.

i dont change lures too much and if i do i try and waste as little line as possible.

as most likely stated "improved albright knot" for leader to braid lefty's loop for lure to line 

personally I use 8lb braid and 8lb flurocarbon leader but I'm generally landbased around nasty structure

lures zman grubz 2.5" with a 1/16th no 4 hook jighead are a good starting lure  squidgy wrigglers are also good

with hardbodies the list is endless but to catch bream you need to willing to spend a bit for me the strikepro pygmy is excellent value for a quality lure 

I am a huge fan of a twitch-pause retrieve with hardbodies I showed this technique to one of the young raiders and he has since bested my pb bream

cranka crabs are also excellent when cast up against structure and allowed to slowly sink down

if you look in the articles section I've got a bit info on bream spinning

be persistant and don't expect buckets of bream straight away it takes practice and lots of it to consistantly nail bream on lures but I can promise when you pull a big blue lip on a lure it's a hell of a rush

any other questions just shoot me a pm

Dave

• Like 1

When fishing off a boat you need to be stealthy, turning off the engine a prior 50m before your intended area of fishing and throwing on the electric makes a big difference. Trust me.

When fishing moored boats and sinking lures (soft plastics) cast at the middle of the boat. Use light Jighead to make the plastic slowly flutter.

Try matching the hatch. Fishing in the georges river means using a crab plastic or hardbody. (Crankacrab lures). Parramatta river is full of baitfish. Using zman slim slimz is good. Stick to 1/8 or lighter higheads. Matching Jigheads to actual weight is good. E.g baitfish are light, so use a light Jighead on similar soft plastics. Same go for prawn plastics. In clear water I'd advise 4lb fluero and natural colours.

(Slow roll pauses here and there) Most fat and short divers should work. (Atomic fat cranks). Use divers suited to water depth.

(Shallowwater) Sugapens work a treat as these imitate a fleeing prawn. (Walkthedog lures).  Again use natural colors.

Other places you can concentrate your lures are weed beds with drop offs near by work, wharfs pylon structure with current flowing near by should hold bream.

Pm me for some spots.

I know there’s a lot of people that won’t like this and a few that would but I use a egg snap so I can quickly change lures instead of tying straight to the jig head.

Personally I don’t think it affects the lures swim pattern but that’s me. 

I’d use 4lbs Fluro carbon leader with a zman grub or Slim SwimZ as a starter. 

Double hop and slow roll would be a good starting retrieve 

Fufu

Guest Guest123456789

Good luck tieing an FG knot with 6lbs braid. I can do it but it takes 35 wraps and a lot of patience.

Just use a uni to uni knot, 12 turns in the braid, 4 on the mono leader. 2 metre leader  length will give you enough line to tie on a few different lures and you won’t need to run the knot through th guides when casting.

To attach the lure just use a uni knot but double the line or you will lose lures/fish to break offs.

My old footy coach had a saying “K.I.S.S” which was his way of telling us to keep it simple stupid.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

6 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Good luck tieing an FG knot with 6lbs braid. I can do it but it takes 35 wraps and a lot of patience.

Just use a uni to uni knot, 12 turns in the braid, 4 on the mono leader. 2 metre leader  length will give you enough line to tie on a few different lures and you won’t need to run the knot through th guides when casting.

To attach the lure just use a uni knot but double the line or you will lose lures/fish to break offs.

My old footy coach had a saying “K.I.S.S” which was his way of telling us to keep it simple stupid.

Not disagreeing with your method but not sure how you can have a 2 metre leader and not run it through the guides (maybe im missing something here) also surely an albright knot is the most KISS friendly (one knot instead of 2)

On 1/28/2018 at 10:27 PM, Fufu said:

I know there’s a lot of people that won’t like this and a few that would but I use a egg snap so I can quickly change lures instead of tying straight to the jig head.

Personally I don’t think it affects the lures swim pattern but that’s me. 

I’d use 4lbs Fluro carbon leader with a zman grub or Slim SwimZ as a starter. 

Double hop and slow roll would be a good starting retrieve 

Fufu

Defs not for bream bro they too picky (as in seeing the snap) (your snap swivel technique) but your right does not affect retrieve and works a treat for other species e.g flathead, Trev's, on squid jigs, kingfish lures.

I would advise using hiddenweight systems as well but they arent necessary. They will often get u more bits. They are used to let ur plastic slowly flutter past structure. But if u just want your plastic to sink so u can double hop go the normal Jighead.

Edited by Miketheangler
  • Like 1

Guest Guest123456789
8 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:

Not disagreeing with your method but not sure how you can have a 2 metre leader and not run it through the guides (maybe im missing something here) also surely an albright knot is the most KISS friendly (one knot instead of 2)

By the time I tie a double lined knot I’m left with about 170cm leader. No problem casting it without going through the guides. After swapping lures several times it ends up being too short and I replace it, which is good as I usually have some damage to the leader by that stage anyway.

ive found (me personally) the Albright knot has a greater margin for error and lower breaking strain. I remember when I started out I found it harder to tie than the uni to uni. But agree, tied correctly it would be more than suitable for bream fishing.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo