Golden oldies

rickmarlin62

Amazing photo Rick part of history right there! Thats definately one to tell the grandkids about!

What ligament would I have to use for bait for you to take me fishing sometime? :D

Tightest Line!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Nice fish off the stones, Green Hornet... those were the days!

Which ANSA club were you with and do you still fish under ANSA? I’m with St George Sportfishing Club - our 50th anniversary this year. There’s no ANSA club here in Port Stephens unfortunately.

I was with Culburra Beach Sportfishing Club but haven't been a member since I moved a little further down the coast.

We used to have an annual comp against the boys and girls from St George. They were a nice mob of people. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I was with Culburra Beach Sportfishing Club but haven't been a member since I moved a little further down the coast.

We used to have an annual comp against the boys and girls from St George. They were a nice mob of people. 

Yeah, I remember that. They were the good ol’ days! The Nowra comp’s in a few weeks but I’ll be working. I always love fishing down there!

Edited by Berleyguts

This doesn't come close to some of Rick's monsters - a nice flattie from the Sygna wreck on Stockton Beach around 1977, when it was still a wreck. I often used to surf alongside it in the afternoon and fish in the evening. It was also a less enlightened time for me regarding flathead, I would have eaten that one for sure, probably on the beach that night as was often the case.

PICT0011.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2018 at 10:07 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

Lookin thru some old fotos for a laugh   port stephens  1987  stardrag senator  50lb line  home made bent butt js980  72kg

998D500C-23D4-4459-94F5-5634BC5B72D3.jpeg

Rick, I just realised when I was reading back through this, that your rod was built on a JS980 blank.  My current 10/15kg rod is the one I built on a Butterworth JS980 blank. Not a bent butt though. Fuji guides, roller tip. I built it in 1980 and it is still in great condition. Great stick!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 7:32 AM, Jewhunter said:

2 x jew, 18kg & 21kg spun up at the entrance of Narrabeen lagoon in a flood in 1991.

Two Jew.JPG

Was that the time they had to be dragged over the rocks by the pool? White feathery bait?

Edited by 4wsboy

16 hours ago, 4wsboy said:

Was that the time they had to be dragged over the rocks by the pool? White feathery bait?

It was toward the bottom of the tide, so I managed to wade out to a small bommie & stand on that. I got hammered by white water & ended up with the gaff in my leg at one point! It was a howling sou'easter, so the feathers weren't heavy enough. Ended up using a large popper with ball sinker in front of it on a short trace to get it under the foam. Got them on that. Sometimes you have to improvise!

I used 6oz bean sinkers in a red and a white trolling skirt..bigger model of the old red n white feather jigs...sinlge 8/0 seamaster hook on 80lb trace    we got jew at box head..tallow beach..  mcmasters beach..these days we hit narara ck or Newcastle harbor after flooding rain..rick

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I used 6oz bean sinkers in a red and a white trolling skirt..bigger model of the old red n white feather jigs...sinlge 8/0 seamaster hook on 80lb trace    we got jew at box head..tallow beach..  mcmasters beach..these days we hit narara ck or Newcastle harbor after flooding rain..rick

That would do the trick mate! When I got those two it was on a whim & I didn't have much with me, as it was the 1st time I'd ever fished there & my 1st time ever spinning for jew. Did a lot after that. Did you ever spin the Gosford rail bridge in a flood? I did a bit back in the early nineties & got a few.

8 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

It was toward the bottom of the tide, so I managed to wade out to a small bommie & stand on that. I got hammered by white water & ended up with the gaff in my leg at one point! It was a howling sou'easter, so the feathers weren't heavy enough. Ended up using a large popper with ball sinker in front of it on a short trace to get it under the foam. Got them on that. Sometimes you have to improvise!

I recall it ! Good memory for years ago.   Was there a passer by who helped? I do recall white feathers being mentioned at the time :)

14 hours ago, 4wsboy said:

I recall it ! Good memory for years ago.   Was there a passer by who helped? I do recall white feathers being mentioned at the time :)

Are you effing kidding me??!! Was that you in the silver car that took that photo & was kind enough to send it to me in the mail? I have been forever grateful for that, as I was on my own & it was the only pic taken while they were just out of the water!

& I remember you wading out with me & were there when I hooked up to the 2nd, bigger fish. You also helped me haul them back to the car as my hands were full & my leg was bleeding! Mate you're an absolutely top bloke & I always wanted to get in touch with you to thank you for your generosity. Hope you're well, & all these years later, 27 years in fact, thank you!

4kg Largemouth bass caught in Zimbabwe many moons ago on a soft plastic, one of the 1st times I used one, on the cheapest & crappiest fibreglass rod with a plastic reel with an amazingly poor drag! It goes down as one of my best as I was fishing a new spot & the tackle used would be lucky to nail a decent bream.

Scanned Image.pdf