travel rod recommendations

dirvin21

I'm heading to South America in November on a fishing trip

I need some recommendations on travel rods 

The basic recommendations are barra type gear

a baitcaster running 50lb braid, a spinning rod with atleast 50lb-60lb braid and a lighter rigup running 30lb braid 

just looking for some suggestions 

cheers

Dave

I bought a shakespeare wild series travel combo 4 pc to take up to Darwin in April chasing Barra.

Not yet tried the reel, but I've used it with a LT40reel and it was good when I was chasing flattys in 50 metres. Medium action, felt pretty good. I also picked up a 4 piece Ugly stick Gold 5-10Kg and tried it on the weekend with an overhead, it was ok, but I think it would have been better with a spin reel. Both are very small when in pieces, less than 50cm, and the combo came with a nice bag that holds the reel as well. Each was less than $100.

Both are coming to Darwin with me. I'll try and remember to report back in May when I'm back

Good luck!

Edited by antonywardle

I have a 3 piece Shimano TCurve Evolution travel rod which I bought to take on a South Pacific cruise. I didn’t use it much but it did handle a queenfish quite well. I still use it here on bonito, snapper (yet to catch a big one) and will try it on kings, too.

Just picked up a 5-10KG pflueger trion transcendent travel rod. Its a three piece rod with 5 pieces in the tube.

One Butt, two middle sections and two tops bits, so that you can swap them around to change the action.

Hoping to get out next weekend with it and I'll let you know how I get on. 

2 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Just picked up a 5-10KG pflueger trion transcendent travel rod. Its a three piece rod with 5 pieces in the tube.

One Butt, two middle sections and two tops bits, so that you can swap them around to change the action.

Hoping to get out next weekend with it and I'll let you know how I get on. 

thanks mate