Outboard Motor - 40HP Mercury Lightning XR

deek

G'Day Raiders,

I'm interested in a buying a secondhand boat that has a 40HP Mercury Lightning XR, 2010 or 2011 with approximately 300 hours on it. The boat looks well looked after and the owner informs me he has the motor serviced annually. My concern is I've heard some bad stories about these outboards. So, I'm putting out there to all the outboard gurus.

Thanks

Deek

No way man I had a 2011 could of been 2010 Not sure now lol 40 hp lightning xr was bloody awesome motor there a rebranded tohatsu or something I've heard although I only had mine for about 40 hours was a good 40 hours but only had like 40 hours on it when I got it and the black rocks wish my yammie was black Bahaha looks heaps better... Imo and was meticulously looked after 

Edited by Omally

The only thing I do remember was it was pretty loud  I remember some days me ears used to ring lol... Imo 300 hours is pretty high but in saying that depends how it's been looked after and the price of course 

Edited by Omally

Oh... if its a rebranded 40HP electric start Tohatsu ... then I can vouch for that machinery .... had one from 1989-1996 ... faultless gutsy performer.  Navy blue leg and silver cowl ... easy to maintain and always delivered.

Cheers

Zoran

4 hours ago, Omally said:

The only thing I do remember was it was pretty loud  I remember some days me ears used to ring lol... Imo 300 hours is pretty high but in saying that depends how it's been looked after and the price of course 

And then you have Etecs that supposedly don't need to be serviced until they reach 300hrs.You have to be crazy not to service one on a yearly basis regardless of hours I think.300hrs is nothing for a well cared for and maintained outboard.

I did say in my opinion fab?specially if you don't know the history anyone could say anything yeah mate she's right always looked after who knows some people don't even flush there motors or aren't mechanically minded at all  ... Only ever had new motors or newish ( less than 100 hours .. But as I said the 4ohp lightning xr never let me down once... 

Edited by Omally

14 minutes ago, Omally said:

I did say in my opinion fab?specially if you don't know the history anyone could say anything yeah mate she's right always looked after who knows some people don't even flush there motors or aren't mechanically minded at all  ... Only ever had new motors or newish ( less than 100 hours .. But as I said the 4ohp lightning xr never let me down once... 

I know you did mate.I wasn't having a dig.....i was merely saying that in general a well looked after and maintained engine will go way beyond 300hrs.One thats been neglected?Well,thats anyones guess how much service and reliability it will provide. 

As to what sellers tell you regardless if they are private or dealers, take it all with a grain of salt when it comes to buying anything used especially boats,cars etc.Ask for recent service reports,receipts and most of all do your own detective work and follow your instincts to minimise the chance of ending up with a lemon.

Cheers.

I personally would be sticking to something like a Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki.

I've had a few mates with tohatsu and mercury. and they've had so many problems with it. Spends more time in the workshop than on water.

Is this your first boat?

37 minutes ago, sam bros said:

I've had a few mates with tohatsu and mercury. and they've had so many problems with it. Spends more time in the workshop than on water.

Is this your first boat?

Yeah even tho I have a yammy and have heard good things can't vouch for them yet as mine only has 80 hours on it and I've only done like 2 hours on it so far so good but.. Have heard they do have bullet proof oil injection systems(2 strokes)  which puts my mind at ease a bit

Edited by Omally

5 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I know you did mate.I wasn't having a dig.....i was merely saying that in general a well looked after and maintained engine will go way beyond 300hrs.One thats been neglected?Well,thats anyones guess how much service and reliability it will provide. 

As to what sellers tell you regardless if they are private or dealers, take it all with a grain of salt when it comes to buying anything used especially boats,cars etc.Ask for recent service reports,receipts and most of all do your own detective work and follow your instincts to minimise the chance of ending up with a lemon.

Cheers.

I would always get an independent inspection anyway.

3 hours ago, sam bros said:

Is this your first boat?

This is my second boat. But like some of you on this post, I had a Yammie as well and loved it. That's why I'm not sure about the Merc

have used a Mercury Pro Xs 150 and had no worries whatsoever , the motor only had about 100hours on her but was really good for fuel not a guzzler like the old yama ,  it was defiantely a little loud on the idle and likes to be run in the higher rpm  but solid motor and pretty cheap for what they are, i think the 4stroke model is actually a bit lighter too and a few hundred buckos less :)

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, sam bros said:

Is this your first boat?

Funny you should say that as many parts in the yamy, suzi motors are supplied by Tohatsu, one would think if Tohatsu are so unreliable that the parts that are tohatsu in the yams etc  would also be unreliable.

Frank

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Funny you should say that as many parts in the yamy, suzi motors are supplied by Tohatsu, one would think if Tohatsu are so unreliable that the parts that are tohatsu in the yams etc  would also be unreliable.

Frank

Not sure, Maybe the put the parts together better

But most people with mercury/ tohatsu have had problems with them.