I just pull my Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500 out of a beach sand torrent!?! ={ how do I fully service it?

l2oBiN

Fishing at a beech creek outlet on a runout tide, I saw my rod and reel dragged off into the torrent by a fish. There is no way I could see it through the sand torrent and jumping in to get it was useless. I quickly ran back home, got my diving mask and flippers and went in for a dip. Visibility was 1m so ivould not see jack. Then as I surfaced I saw the tip just breaking the tip of the water closer to shore. Swam out to it and rescued the lot. I realised as I dragged it out of the water that the fish was still on. I tried to turn the handle of the reel and the whole reel is rock stiff (I did not want to force it) No doubt sand got in everywhere! Hand dragged the fish out and it ended up being a stinkin sting ray!

Now I am faced with a rock stiff reel and very crunchy rod saddle. I need to get these back into tip top order! Could you please give me some tips/advice/resources on how I can fully service the 2500 stradic ci4 and the Catana light surf rod reel saddle. 

Looking forward to to your advice!

Ive had reels take a full dunk and simply soak them in saltaway or wetsuit wash with slightly warm water (body temp). We pulled a reel out during an underwater survey that was jambed solid and covered in marine growth, even small muscles were attached. Soaked it overnight in saltaway and scraped all the growth off and the reel is now used for bream and whiting fishing, still silky smooth even if it does look rough. 

Dont do's, wash in hot water as the heat can remove grease.

Though wd40 is recomended above I've always been told not to use it as it also removes greace and oils.

ive used wd40 for thirty years never had a drama..i don't know why people bag it it..i mentioned washing down the outside of the reel and spool  it washes away salt ..I think stradics have a waterproof gearcase if im not mistaken...the sand under spool and in rotor once washed away may be all that's needed..a blow by blow on how to take apart a stradic would take forever..have you dismantled reels before..do you have appropriate tools.oils.grease...the anti reverse systems can be finicky and if you aren't careful you may put pieces in upside down or not in order...if not sure of capabilities take to a reputable tackle shop and have it stripped and relubed by them...rick

the sand will be jamming in rotor under spool..i don't know how it would ingress into a sealed system such as stradic  in the short amount of time he describes it should only need a good clean down..i pulled an abu 6500c off bottom in Swansea channel..had been there couple of days..cleaned it up serviced it..still using it..it has no sealing  just openings for crap to get in...rick

I used to use wd40 as a light spray after cleaning my reals, I found I was replacing my bail arm roller bearings about every 6 months which according to the tackle stores I used was from the lighter thinner pennatrating oil washing out the bearing oil. I was also looking at bike chain oil reviews last night and found much out about wet, dry and ceramic lubricants, one thing which was also mentioned was not to use wd40.

Ive also been told by several outboard mechanics not to use wd40 on my outboards, I dare say this is something most of us once did years ago. I now use my old wd40 cans as degreaser to remove oil off my hands ( yes it works) once they are gone I see no point in buying more. Wd40 has its uses, there are tutorials from the company showing it used to remove greace from disk breaks and tools etc which says it all really.

Just for next time if you dunk a reel DO NOT WIND THE HANDLE- this grabs water, sand and other muck and starts pushing it into the gears and starts the corrosion process. The reel needs to be completely dissassembled, degreased and dried out before rebuild. If you are not comfortable with this send it to Shimano and get a quote on the rebuild (it wont be cheap) but Shimano will do the job properly. Just on the WD 40 thing- its not an oil -WaterDispplacement 40 but it is an excellent degreaser.

The Old WD-40 debate!

My two cents is that WD40 is used for pushing water/grime out of moving parts/mechanisms, so i can see how it can be used to spray down the exterior and maybe wash salt/sand residue but id never use it inside the housing!

Much more a fan of Silicone based sprays (food standard so no pollution runoff into our waters) due to the fact they help restore the rubbers to stop them from drying or cracking and isnt too sticky B) 

If my reel was that bad i think id open her up wash her out with hot soapy water to get rid of all the sand/salt, clean her down and start from scratch , probably cheaper than sending it for a service at Shimano and if that fails looks like it time for a freshy!

Ok guys, I have pulled the entire reel apart including bearings and anti reverse mechanism, cleaned it all out, greased the worm drive, and drive shaft and their respective interfaces, as well as ball bearings and housing, and finally oiled all remaining moving parts. I have assembled it all together again and works as new so far. I have yet to do the spool as i need to remove the line from it prior to cleaning it, but it should not be a problem. I would appreciate a couple of photos on how the bail arm spring mechanism functions and gets assembled together ( I have assembled this and it works but I am still trying to figure out how it functions). 

One thing i can can tell you is I cannot foresee how squiring wd40 or silicon spray, or letting things soak in water would actually clean the reel. This might help with external cleaning but getting to the bearings, worm gears, and drive shaft for a proper clean does seem to require a comprehensive dismantling. Further to this, I think leaving things to soak in water would just make things worse as it would capture the water in the reel housing and bearings. (This obviously might not be a problem for a water sealed reel).

its only the initial thing to do as it breaks down the salt in the sand and water...salt is your enemy...the soaking and washing is only the precursor to a proper pulldown and lube...hope you have years of trouble free service from it...out of curiousity was there any intrusion into the main body.???rick

The sand / micro sand got into everything! Including the bearings and the anti reverse housing! I even had to take the actual bearings apart to clean them. 

The breakdown and reassembly is involved but I am glad I did it as I now understand the reel much better and feel confident that I can take it apart again.

The bail arm spring mechanism is interesting. It seems more complicated compared to others. Again, it would be good to get some understanding of how it works..,

Edited by l2oBiN