Calcutta 200B for Micro Jigging

ruckus213

Hi all,

I've just bought a new setup which I will use mostly for micro jigging and flicking soft vibes.

Rod: Storm Gomoku Kaiten Nero (PE 1-3) Blue

Reel: Shimano Calcutta 200B

Line: 20lb Power Pro - Depth Hunter

My questions is this;

Could this setup be used to target decent size Pink Snapper? Or will they do my arse in? 

I will be mostly droppin 20-40g jigs and vibes for targeting Jewies in NSW. I fit about 200m of braid on the reel.

I had a few spin and baitcast options, some made more sense than the 200B but I always wanted a Calcutta B, so I decided to do something different. I will also use the reel for Barra when I travel up north.

Has anyone used the 200B to catch snapper or pelagics?

Thanks for the advice/help.

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2018 at 8:29 PM, ruckus213 said:

Cheers mate !

Hi mate, I know this is an old thread. Did you end up going with that outfit? The 200B on the Kaiten? How did it end up for your application? I'm looking at a similar application but was thinking 15-20lb braid and maybe the Erito Rod (0.8-1.5PE 120g Jig) any comments? It will also end up as a kids bottom bash outfit for flathead, so possibly 180g sinkers on a bad day but not very often and not jigging them. 

Thanks

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Captain Spanner..sorry mate I don't get on here often! I ended up getting this setup and it has handled some ok sized fish during this time but nothing massive. I've caught 60-65cm Bonito, rat Kingfish around 65-70cm, heaps of small stuff like tailor, flathead, small maori cod and trevally. It's held up well but i find the heavier jigs and sinkers will take its toll on the line release button..

Decent little setup, fun to use but i find myself reaching for my spin gear more often..

Thank you for the update. This is my first time on ere in a very long time too. I haven't been out much at all in the meantime either. Thank you for the update, it is much appreciated. Especially the comment on the line release coping with repetitive heavy weights as that would be an issue with my application when i get around to getting an outfit that fits this description.