Carp on plastic

perch

Hey guys been fishing my local creek a fair bit recently and have been sight fishing carp in shallow water with quite abit of success in using unweighted baits but a while back the fish were on spawn and where hitting plastics intended for bass so today I went down targeting them on plastics and sight casted it and had them hit it but quickly spit it out and they would only hit it when I had scent on I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions to why they are spitting the plastic 

heres a couple I’ve caught in the past

9 hours ago, perch said:

Hey guys been fishing my local creek a fair bit recently and have been sight fishing carp in shallow water with quite abit of success in using unweighted baits but a while back the fish were on spawn and where hitting plastics intended for bass so today I went down targeting them on plastics and sight casted it and had them hit it but quickly spit it out and they would only hit it when I had scent on I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions to why they are spitting the plastic 

heres a couple I’ve caught in the past

A Carp would normally swim along sucking up the bottom, sieve out what is food and spit out the rest. They don't have teeth like predatory fish do. Obviously they eat live things like shrimps, worms, grubs...but not before they have "tasted" them. I guess they are hitting your lure /plastic and finding the "taste" abnormal, then spitting it out. Maybe you could try smaller lures? Certainly would be good fun catching them. Let us know how you go with them. Cheers, bn 

Hey rick I tried compressing them but they still wouldn’t upload 

and ive gotten some 2 grubs so I’m hoping that will do the trick and also do you think they would be shy of line because I ran 4 and 6 pound and was getting smoked to often so I’m now running 15 pound leader 

On 2/1/2018 at 8:21 PM, perch said:

Yeah I’ll give that a try thanks

Its always been a dynamite bait for me brother, it sounds daft but if you can find the biccys that have a wee hole in the middle theyre the easiest to throw on a hair rig...Cjay