Get up to Port Stephens ASAP if you can.

kingie chaser

I'll be up there Monday for a week of hols & taking the old 67 quintrex sportsman up.

I hope I run into some of these in the bay

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/depths-of-despair-as-20000-ravenous-kingfish-hit-port-stephens-marine-park-20180201-h0rpqi

With thise numbers loose you can imagine they will decimate any school fish in the area!

contrary to a lot of peoples uneducated beliefs..the kings are stayin round the pens and are being fed by huon and are being caught by them as we sit here typing posts...the day I was there catchin some the workers were using small jigs with no barbs like a tuna poling jig and were catching them an putting them straight into the pen..i watched them for five minutes and they were getting them one after the other...they appearently caught 3000 in one hit seineing them  ..I hope this puts to bed peoples wild ideas and posts..im sure scratchie will vouch for the fish been recaught as it was in a report in the papers by dpi...rick

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I'll be up there Monday for a week of hols & taking the old 67 quintrex sportsman up.

I hope I run into some of these in the bay

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/depths-of-despair-as-20000-ravenous-kingfish-hit-port-stephens-marine-park-20180201-h0rpqi

With thise numbers loose you can imagine they will decimate any school fish in the area!

Haha, I might just appear in that article somewhere! Quote, video etc! Fishraiders are everywhere! ?

• Like 1

I thought that recapture would have been undway almost straight away.

The usual media beat up or one sided veiw of things or personal agenda.

Interesting to here the claim they were schooling off little beach though?

My industry would be greatly affected without aquaculture!

I don't know if there's any truth to this but I heard that because they're such voracious feeders they have eaten all the other fish in the ocean, and then they ate each other and now there's just one really big kingy.

• Haha 3

On 02/02/2018 at 3:10 AM, kingie chaser said:

Interesting to here the claim they were schooling off little beach though?

That’s rubbish. There’s always been a local school of kings that visit the breakwall daily. It would have been them just passing through! 

1 hour ago, Aquaholic 2017 said:

Hi Kingy Cahser and Scratchie, heading to Broughton this Saturday. Are there still Kingy's to be caught and is the ban still being lifted this week? Cheers Aquaholic 2017.

As far as I’m aware the ban is lifted at midnight on 7/2. 

Plenty of kings and reds up Broughton though! 

Good luck and enjoy! 

1 hour ago, TK01 said:

I don't know if there's any truth to this but I heard that because they're such voracious feeders they have eaten all the other fish in the ocean, and then they ate each other and now there's just one really big kingy.

Haha! But your not far from the truth! 

I’m hearing that the nets have been torn apart by our local white pointer population! That is the rumour going around up here, but I was there first hand the next day and there was clearly massive visible damage done to the pens! 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Just received information that a further closure in place until 28/2

Typical. I drove past yesterday right near the boundaries of the lease. Looked like they were still working on it. Didn’t see any sign of kings on the edge of the lease area.

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

Typical. I drove past yesterday right near the boundaries of the lease. Looked like they were still working on it. Didn’t see any sign of kings on the edge of the lease area.

Plenty more fish in the sea! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Plenty more fish in the sea! 

Yep. Just not where I’ve been fishing lately.

BTW I forgot to tell you... I bridled up a yakka under a balloon yesterday at that spot north I messaged you from. The yakka started going crazy and the balloon dipped a bit. When I pulled it in, the hook had slipped out of the dacron and speared the yakka through the body. Dacron was still through the eye sockets. Otherwise the yakka didn’t appear to have been touched. Something spooked it.

8 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Yep. Just not where I’ve been fishing lately.

BTW I forgot to tell you... I bridled up a yakka under a balloon yesterday at that spot north I messaged you from. The yakka started going crazy and the balloon dipped a bit. When I pulled it in, the hook had slipped out of the dacron and speared the yakka through the body. Dacron was still through the eye sockets. Otherwise the yakka didn’t appear to have been touched. Something spooked it.

Haha! You went with the balloon. I rigged mine deep. (Two kings) Probably the little hammerhead that was cruising around! 

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Haha! You went with the balloon. I rigged mine deep. (Two kings) Probably the little hammerhead that was cruising around! 

Yeah, that was because all my prerigged bridle rigs were set up for attaching a balloon. I’ll have to think about how to add a sinker in a hurry. ? I did see some rats around the bait near my boat.

16 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Yeah, that was because all my prerigged bridle rigs were set up for attaching a balloon. I’ll have to think about how to add a sinker in a hurry. ? I did see some rats around the bait near my boat.

Easy mate! An elastic band through a 4oz sinker attached to your swivel or mainline! ?

• Like 2

Does anybody think that the Kingies would stay close to the nets due to being hand fed by the workers? I mean if they get fed everyday at the same time they surely know where to go? Just a thought..

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hey baz..you  can always tie a ball sinker on with short length of light line hanging off trace side of swivel if you don't need much weight to keep bait midwater....rick

Yeah, thought of that too, Rick... on the way back home! Does anyone else have those fishing days where nothing seems to click? I think you have them when you’re not fishing enough (I might use that argument with the wife, hoping I can fish more often)! On different trips in the past (and recently)  I have forgotten the:

* lifejackets

* wallet with boat and fishing licence

* landing net

* tackle box (so no lure once I lost one)

* remote for electric motor

Plus, I have:

* arrived at the ramp to find the bung was missing

And lately, including yesterday:

* my snap swivels have popped open (more likely not closed properly by me), losing lures or rigs

Plus, yesterday:

* I kept catching my shirt or life jacket on the live bait jigs while the rod was in the vertical holder. (Gotta find a solution for that!).

All this wastes precious time! I swear, I must be cursed! ??