New boat trailer rust protection prevention

roosterman

Hi guys,

Been outa fishing game for couple years due to work and RL.  Finally gonna try make time this year to get my boat wet with salty stuff instead of raindrops last couple years lol.

trailer is stuffed so the haines 530f is getting a late xmass pressy ?.

now the big question is being brand new i can do some preventative anti rust measures to help get longer out of it.

what have you guys done and found good.

trailer is 18ft 1500kg one.

im thinking of spraying heated Tectyl inside chassis and painting all external surfaces  by brush. What is tectyl like to walk on once applied as i have a centre walkway on this trailer so dont want it slippery ?

im also contemplating putting some form of hose system inside/outside frame to help flush , what have you guys found easiest best here ?

i got a good hitch lock but also considering a good security grade chain /lock  so any reccomendations here also .

Pics of trailer type, i got them throw in walkway down centre and spare tyre holder ??

thx in advance guys.. 

cheers 

62D6A244-1FCD-4C21-8755-93484D3B0C59.jpeg

D1D02A90-4252-4B52-82DF-EF7CBF164357.jpeg

A good hose down after every fish, I spray with Lanox now and again, I think that a lock is a good protection against thieves but not recognised as a safety device if it comes off the tow ball, get another piece of chain and use a yellow d shackles as well.

Works for me.

• Thanks 1

Do what I do and keep your rig in the garage dry without use.It will never rust then.Just kidding.All trailers will rust from the inside out that are made from rhs eventually regardless of what you spray on them.The easiest, cheapest and best  way I know is to end cap the rear end of the side rails and seal the small gap underneath the ends of the cross members and the centre drainage holes (A grommet works great here).

I did the above to my old trailer and it was always dry as a bone.It was just a matter of hosing the exterior after launch/retrieval.

I heard the hitch helmets are good but pricey and I just use a standard trailer lock.Some people add wheel locks etc also.

Pic of  hitch/trailer lock is what i use. 

Im also considering chain to go through wheel and frame and if somethings nearby for added diversional tactic. They will take easier target hopefully. Iv got them to weld hitch to frame also so you cant just unbolt and add your own to circumvent my hemet hitch lock.wont stop a cordless cutting disc but that will surely bring alot of attention.

BAD0736E-5F9C-463C-8046-0FD92980EB92.jpeg

I ordered one of these trailers just yesterday!  Except the 1750kg version.

Did you happen to ask them what rust prevention they can apply during the manufacturing process?  I might give them a call and find out...

Edited by Smasher

I asked what he reccomended and threw up the usual lanolin/tectyl and also using irrigation/hoses and his response was def what i expected.. he was told by galvanisers to use nothing but wash down after use.. me thinks that is a way of selling more trailers sooner ?. 

I used to service copiers at Galvatech years ago so i may find my contact number for them and get it direct from horses mouth so to speak.. 

2 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

Yes Tectyl will make a big difference. You only need to treat the bits that get dipped in the water. So regarding your question as to walking on it why not just leave the walkway untreated? 

Walkway will go underwater or at least a good deal of it. 

Is tectyl slippery once applied ?.

i drive on most times with old trailer but sometimes wash at rose bay off wall is horrible so walk it up on bad days..

8 hours ago, roosterman said:

Hi guys,

Been outa fishing game for couple years due to work and RL.  Finally gonna try make time this year to get my boat wet with salty stuff instead of raindrops last couple years lol.

trailer is stuffed so the haines 530f is getting a late xmass pressy ?.

now the big question is being brand new i can do some preventative anti rust measures to help get longer out of it.

what have you guys done and found good.

trailer is 18ft 1500kg one.

im thinking of spraying heated Tectyl inside chassis and painting all external surfaces  by brush. What is tectyl like to walk on once applied as i have a centre walkway on this trailer so dont want it slippery ?

im also contemplating putting some form of hose system inside/outside frame to help flush , what have you guys found easiest best here ?

i got a good hitch lock but also considering a good security grade chain /lock  so any reccomendations here also .

Pics of trailer type, i got them throw in walkway down centre and spare tyre holder ??

thx in advance guys.. 

cheers 

62D6A244-1FCD-4C21-8755-93484D3B0C59.jpeg

D1D02A90-4252-4B52-82DF-EF7CBF164357.jpeg

Very nice to see you back Steve! Hello to you and your tribe. Your last post was 2013 ;)

Members are still reading your Article here on FR about Blackfish Basics!

Yes me and Swordie are still here :) @roosterman

cheers Donna

Yeh i havnt been online much last fee years and even stalkbook has only been very odd occasion every few months at best. Lifes been pretty hectic but im determined this year to get back into fishing again. We got 6 kids now so alots changed as im sure has here over last couple years lol...  some guys i still keep in contact over years and i think alot just use stalkbook nowdays.. good to see raiders still going . Great to hear people still finding that article usefull,  cheers ??

• Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789

If I had a brand new trailer like yours and no boat on it I’d consider replacing as many galvanised nuts, bolts etc as I could with 316 stainless. 

13 hours ago, roosterman said:

Walkway will go underwater or at least a good deal of it. 

Is tectyl slippery once applied ?.

i drive on most times with old trailer but sometimes wash at rose bay off wall is horrible so walk it up on bad days..

That's a bit odd as the purpose of a walkway is not to get your feet wet. It dries fairly hard though I am not exactly sure how it will stand up to being walked on.

Trailer in my mind seems a tab undersize for the boat you are going to put on it, remember the boat spends more that 3/4 of it's life sitting on the trailer.

Anyhow best way to prevent rust as much as possible is wash it down just after you launch your boat, don't launch and then go fishing all day and leave the trailer sitting in the sun baking the salt water into the metal. Too late washing it when you get home or back from the fishing trip, the damage has already been done. Wash outside and flush inside when you launch as no boat on trailer much easier than when you come back from fishing and the boat is sitting back on trailer.

I have been preaching this method of maintenance  for over 40 years but yet to see anyone do it at a ramp, always too ancious to get out among the fish to take a few minutes to look after their investment.

Also remember to wash it down again when you retrieve your boat.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Before you chuck it in the drink simply give everything a spray with Inox  and every 3-6  months repeat the excercise- buy a 5 lt bottle of Inox and a cheap spray bottle from Bunnings- actually I think you usually get a spray bottle with the 5lt Inox- most modern trailers seem to have a galvinising that is "just ok" not great. its about $100 for the 5lt Inox and i get about 3 years of sprays out of it- thats cheap.

1 hour ago, Fishop said:

My main local boat ramp around here doesnt have taps/hoses otherwise I would consider it for sure.

I'd say that most boat ramps don't have taps. 

I go out of my way to those that do, or otherwise I take a 20L drum of water that I connect up to my boats deckwash pump. But that's only just enough to flush the motor and give the trailer a brief shower. 

Edited by Smasher

All I have ever done is a very good hose off after each use.

Spray hose /water up all channels that you can get too.

I also have a cheap garden sprinkler that I put under the boat that saturates the under side of the boat and trailer.

I check and repack my bearings every 12months. At this time I spray cold gal on anything that looks like corrosion.

Besides washing down outside and inside of the frame tube sections when I get back home after an outing I regularly brush cold gal paint on anything that is starting to get a hint of a rusty tinge to it. You'll be nipping future trouble in the bud. The cold gal paint will provide anodic protection to the underlying hot gal coating and should make it last much longer.

I spray mine down with saltaway which is the same product I flush through my internal engine parts, infact it gets used on everything I use in saltwater. I also give the trailer a spray with lanox ( as mentioned above ), this does however attract dirt so looks messy, something I can live with if it looks after the trailer. I have no rust or any signs of corrosion on my galvanised trailer at 4 years old and 600 hrs of boating on that outfit.

Great to hear from you again Rooster.

Coat the entire trailer, including up inside the rails, with a 50/50 mix of kero & linseed oil through a spray gun on a compressor.

The water beads off it for a couple of years & then do it again. You'll never get rust in your trailer.

Cheers, Grant.