Port Stephens

Peter Nelson

Headed to broughton this morning with a quick stop at cabbage tree and got some huge slimmys.

Tried a couple of spots(thanks to Rick).Only new to SP so it was more of an exploration morning, managed 1 Flathead.

Decided to hit a few deeper reefs before   the wind got up.

Managed 3 small snapper and another Flathead.

Tally 1 Flathead ,1 snapper on bait.

2 snapper, 1 Flathead on soft plastics.

Got smashed by something on a big slab of slimmy but got dusted.

The missus and kids will enjoy fish and chips tonight.?

IMAG2131_1.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work peter! Keep preserving with the sp’s. It’s a very active way to fish with less bycatch and less smelly! Good feed there! :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

The wife would prefer if I didn't bring home smelly bait, could have something to do with a chest freezer full  going rotten, when the plug came out once.

Do you normally cast  ahead of your drift and let it sink down?

54 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

The wife would prefer if I didn't bring home smelly bait, could have something to do with a chest freezer full  going rotten, when the plug came out once.

Do you normally cast  ahead of your drift and let it sink down?

Always! Preferably at the 10 or 2 o’clock angle. When fishing for snapper I actually impart very little action on the lure too! It’s more about the waft and choosing the right jig and weight for the area your fishing to keep it in the strike zone! 

All my snapper fishing is done with sps with the exception of yesterday but even then I still caught two and the biggest was on sps! 

27 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Always! Preferably at the 10 or 2 o’clock angle. When fishing for snapper I actually impart very little action on the lure too! It’s more about the waft and choosing the right jig and weight for the area your fishing to keep it in the strike zone! 

All my snapper fishing is done with sps with the exception of yesterday but even then I still caught two and the biggest was on sps! 

Thanks mate, I've got to get more jig heads of different weight to experiment.

Well done, Peter. You did better than I did! I think I was the only boat at Cabbage Tree this morning struggling to catch live bait... only managed 4 yakkas! At Broughton I only managed a couple of undersized pinkies and a legal bream. Tried a flathead drift ... no luck. At least I managed to salvage something by trolling up a few bonnies on the way back in.

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Well done, Peter. You did better than I did! I think I was the only boat at Cabbage Tree this morning struggling to catch live bait... only managed 4 yakkas! At Broughton I only managed a couple of undersized pinkies and a legal bream. Tried a flathead drift ... no luck. At least I managed to salvage something by trolling up a few bonnies on the way back in.

The slimmys were think south of the commercial guys that were netting them up. Half your luck with the bonnies I trolled and trolled and couldn't even get a hit

41 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

The slimmys were think south of the commercial guys that were netting them up. Half your luck with the bonnies I trolled and trolled and couldn't even get a hit

Yeah, those pros hauled in a heap of slimies and threw the yakkas back. Anchoring’s prohibited in that zone but I guess that doesn’t apply to the pros?

The amateur boat in the foreground just metres from me was getting heaps of livies but I really struggled. They were all around me and would hit the jig but wouldn’t stay on. Bad start to the day - I think I must have killed a Chinaman!

51E02477-3547-4A2B-9FE1-30E0E8A007FD.jpeg

• Like 1

hey baz sad to hear you couldn't nail a few..mate I worked on a longliner out of the bay for over two years and I can tell u the liners would have been keeping the yakkas and throwing the slimies...if you have a tank full of slimys and head out to sea and hit 3 or 4 degrees water temp rise..all the slimys will die..also slimys don't stay alive long enough on a big circle hook...no one uses them on liners  yakkas only..they will live thru 6 deg temp change no prob and survive in the tank for over a week..any time we had some slimys  your always scoopin em out dead.....this debate has raged between pros and gamefishers for years.they think the linersd are taking all the slimys but their not...once in the seine at the side of the boat the yakkas are scooped an dropped in the tank  the slimys are thrown back..i use to call guys over an give them 20/30 at a time that used to stop them grumbling bout the bloody bait thieves...looks  like my old boat in the background   south seas ...rick

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hey baz sad to hear you couldn't nail a few..mate I worked on a longliner out of the bay for over two years and I can tell u the liners would have been keeping the yakkas and throwing the slimies...if you have a tank full of slimys and head out to sea and hit 3 or 4 degrees water temp rise..all the slimys will die..also slimys don't stay alive long enough on a big circle hook...no one uses them on liners  yakkas only..they will live thru 6 deg temp change no prob and survive in the tank for over a week..any time we had some slimys  your always scoopin em out dead.....this debate has raged between pros and gamefishers for years.they think the linersd are taking all the slimys but their not...once in the seine at the side of the boat the yakkas are scooped an dropped in the tank  the slimys are thrown back..i use to call guys over an give them 20/30 at a time that used to stop them grumbling bout the bloody bait thieves...looks  like my old boat in the background   south seas ...rick

That makes sense. I guess they were throwing slimies then. If I was closer I would have asked them to throw a few my way! I didn’t notice the name of the southernmost boat. The closer one was Tuna something. I wasn’t worried about the liners taking all the bait... there’s plenty of bait everywhere.

Edited by Berleyguts

13 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

There's a TV show on 7mate called hardliners, showing Australian long lining. I'm not sure if it's still on but I watched an episode a couple of weeks ago.

Shows them scooping up heaps of yakas in front on cabbage tree.

You weren't starring in it were you Rick?

26 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

There's a TV show on 7mate called hardliners, showing Australian long lining. I'm not sure if it's still on but I watched an episode a couple of weeks ago.

Shows them scooping up heaps of yakas in front on cabbage tree.

You weren't starring in it were you Rick?

And the boat is called the south seas ran by capt Paul. 

1 hour ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...everytime the pros are at cabbage tree we hit them up for slimmies,they gladly giive us a tank full...

I’m going to ask myself next time. Would save a heap of time.

I’m still curious if they have special permission to anchor there, though.