Snapper point heartbreak

Big g19

Decided to fish snapper point yesterday afternoon armed with some squid I had caught the night before. Got to snapper point about 1pm and started fishing with not a single bite. Started to see some bonito and kingfish start to cruise close to the rocks and feeding on the surface kicking myself that I didn't have a metal lure on me. Saw a huge kingfish come to the surface it would of had to have gone 120 CM easy. Then it went down deep and about ten seconds later bang my rod goes off. Had my saragosa 20000 drag full lock spooled with 60lb j braid and line was just peeling off it like nothing.  Lost about 100 meters off braid and got busted off from the swivel snapping in half.  Caught a few bonito after that but really would of loved to have got that kingy up.  Definitely will be back there again geared up and ready to go 

• Like 2

Dayum thats unlucky man , pretty surprised the Saragosa didnt handle it they have a 20kg drag dont they? Cant mess around with the kings brother they will find any weakness in your tackle and exploit it! What strength swivel /type are you using?  Ball bearing high quality crane swivels are a must theyre not too cheap but they do the job :fisher:

2 minutes ago, CJay said:

Dayum thats unlucky man , pretty surprised the Saragosa didnt handle it they have a 20kg drag dont they? Cant mess around with the kings brother they will find any weakness in your tackle and exploit it! What strength swivel /type are you using?  Ball bearing high quality crane swivels are a must theyre not too cheap but they do the job :fisher:

That's what I was thinking man I've caught some big kings on this reel but I just couldn't put the breaks on it this time.   I wasn't using the strongest of swivels since I had left my other ones at home.   All it takes is a one piece of tackle and a dream fish is lost 

• Like 1

Thats it those big Kings do not mess about they get your heart pumping some! especially hitting a bait at high speed if that drags too low theres 100m gone before you can tighten up, hows the J braid treating you ive heard good things about it :)

Yep one dodgy bit of gear a 20 cent swivel could have cost you the fish! Get some ball bearing swivels if you're going for big kings. Braid + kings + rock fishing can be tough as well, even with 50lb mono can still get busted off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Short said:

Yep one dodgy bit of gear a 20 cent swivel could have cost you the fish! Get some ball bearing swivels if you're going for big kings. Braid + kings + rock fishing can be tough as well, even with 50lb mono can still get busted off

Definitely will be. Hopefully next week I'll be posting a post with a fish this time haha 

• Like 1

I usually use the swivels when running live baits ,especially the yakkas they seem to love putting mad twists in the line without a swivel, any other plugs and lures applications and i only use the FG :fisher: been seeing alot of Kings start to come into the river mouth up this way the past month or so too, which ive not seen in the 5 years ive lived up this way! 

Edited by CJay

You sure it wasn't an eagleray? I was nearby there a couple weeks back and I pulled in 2 eagles. That was a first in landing them, all the others I hooked onto in the past I couldn't stopped and got spooled. They run pretty fast and hard. If you were lower in the water column and depending on the fight its highly likely eagleray and was more of a coincident that the king happen to go down not long before that... Just a thought.

Even the ones I caught, in less than 10cm of water and the height of the thing being around 15cm, still went for a final run on me and pulled out some decent line.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:30 AM, Rob81 said:

You sure it wasn't an eagleray? I was nearby there a couple weeks back and I pulled in 2 eagles. That was a first in landing them, all the others I hooked onto in the past I couldn't stopped and got spooled. They run pretty fast and hard. If you were lower in the water column and depending on the fight its highly likely eagleray and was more of a coincident that the king happen to go down not long before that... Just a thought.

Even the ones I caught, in less than 10cm of water and the height of the thing being around 15cm, still went for a final run on me and pulled out some decent line.

I'm pretty confident it was a kingy man there was plenty of baitfish around and plenty of surface action. But could of possibly been a ray.  

19 hours ago, Rock&Beach said:

Gibbs Rule #101 if you fish for Kingys one day you are going to get smoked by a hood. Was just your day Big g. At least you hooked it and had some fun. I am sure you will be back out there soon.  Cheers R&B

Definitely will be back out within the next few weeks. Just bought some new tackle this morning haha