King chaser

Shark ID please

Hi guys,

Fishing from terrigal today and brought up a decent shark. It took a live yellowtail and was a 15 min fight or so. Was let go to fight another day but after the species name, see photos bellow

2976A96D-268E-47DE-80A2-44228024A490.jpeg

Geez, I might be wrong, but it looks to have a very long tail. Juvenile Thresher shark?

• Like 1

Yeah, didn't think so Rick as the snout wasn't rounded & the head too big, but it's got a bloody long tail from the pics.

• Like 1

some form of whaler probably a dusky or bronze impossible to tell without seeing the whole shark

• Like 1

Id say 100% bronzy or dusky. Go close up on its head in pic 2. No chance its a white or mako, not a bull... 

• Like 1

I would be calling it as a Black Whaler if I caught it.

Frank

• Like 1

Thanks guys after looking at whaler sharks, from what I recall it’s pretty much bang on that, I would say more a dusky whaler from the absence of the bronze sides after inspecting it for a while!

cheers, chaser

I believe teeth are a pretty good way to separate dusky and bronzie. Dont ask me which way it goes. I'm sure over the years ive caught plenty of duskies and just assumed they were bronzies. Until about ten years ago i dont think i even knew dusky whalers existed