Kids, Wild Bass & PB's

Jewhunter

Hi Raiders.

My youngest boy, Lucas, 12, had been hassling me to go bass fishing. My partners eldest boy, Taylor, 10, is a very keen young fisherman & had never fished with lures before. I made the call & a nice Sunday morning saw us heading up into the fresh of the Tweed River to some of the best bass water on the far North Coast. Living 10mins away from where we launch makes it easy. So with light spin rods & 3 of us loaded into the 'dog dish' as Slinkymalinky kindly named my bass boat, we headed off for a morning session. This trip wasn't about me, so positioning the boat, teaching the boys about bass & where they live, untangling spinnerbaits from trees & being what turned out to be an awesome guide, I didn't pick up the rod for the first couple of hours.

Taylor, (great name for a kid that loves fishing!) picked up the cast & retrieve side of things quickly & it didn't take long to get whacked by a nice bass. It was fat & healthy & really gave him some curry, but he handled it like a pro & I slipped the net under his 1st ever lure caught fish. At 40cm fork length it was a cracking way to start his lure fishing career. He then followed it up with a 39cm fish that had one of the fattest heads I've seen on a bass! Not to be out done Lucas then scored a 39cm fish. It went a bit quiet after that so I changed spots up into a side river & it was on again. Lucas missed 3 hits in a row, while Taylor scored another fish at 37cm. I was itching the cast by now, so fired a few casts into likely looking snags & pulled a couple of 37cm & 39cm fish in quick succession. Taylor got another, being the smallest fish of the trip at 32cm's.

So all in all it was another great session up in one of my fave bass spots. 7 bass in 3 hrs, all released of course, & back home for a nice brunch. The kids haven't stopped talking about it. Hope you enjoy the pics.

5a7c0476dad72_Taylors1st.JPG.43f07c1c9db04de2d38d070690d04120.JPG5a7c049082d21_Fatheadbass.JPG.ceb13ea728d161d728908fe15d549921.JPG5a7c049e1c8c9_LucsequalPB.JPG.785f73a92e5d8e1ba7c1e36c8a4a7803.JPG5a7c04ab51a9e_My39cm.JPG.ccb89f37611f5534b306f885dfcf7253.JPG

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Good outing with the kids Grant - nice bass there

Cant believe Lucas is 12!!

I know! Just started high school, & is taller than you. It won't be long before he's taller than me, so don't worry about that!!

Loves his fishing. He & Taylor are out the back catching bream most days.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, frankS said:

Great adventure for the boys, nice fish and a great day out.

I see the boys have their jackets on ! where's yours ?.

Frank

Stowed up front Frank, as I had another person onboard the vessel over the age of 12y/o, as stated in the NSW regulations for the compulsory wearing of lifejackets. My 12 y/o doesn't have to wear one, but I make him anyway.

I also have a built in floatation device situated between my chest & waist!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

Stowed up front Frank, as I had another person onboard the vessel over the age of 12y/o, as stated in the NSW regulations for the compulsory wearing of lifejackets. My 12 y/o doesn't have to wear one, but I make him anyway.

I also have a built in floatation device situated between my chest & waist!

Well I stand corrected, learn something every day, it's good to keep up with regulations and perhaps I should review my old way of thinking.

Frank