North Reef Newcastle

Loomesy

Hi Raiders 

Put the boat in at 6am this morning  and went straight to the wreck off stockton break wall to catch some lives. Filled the bait tank within 15 minutes with yakkas and small mullet. Headed out to north reef and realised we had wasted time catching bait in close. The school's of bait fish on the reef was unbelievable. Dropped a couple of lines to drift and also through out a small mullet as live bait as there were small kings on the buoy. Only caught rock cod on the bottom lines but surface mullet got smashed on the surface only 20 meters from the boat. Fought it for a while but pulled the hook before I could see colour. I was so devastated. 

Headed about 500m north of the buoy and started another drift. This time picking up flat head. Would of caught 40-50 over a couple of drifts but only two keepers. 

Good day on the water and excellent conditions. 

Cheers Loomesy 

• 9 months later...

Is the fishing any good for snapper at North Reef Newcastle? 

Also, how far from the mouth of the harbour is it, don't know if I got bad info but I got told it's the yellow bout you see on the way out which isn't too far out at all. 

Thanks 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:29 PM, Loomesy said:

I'm heading there in the morning if you want to tag along. 

Cheers Loomesy 

How did you go there Loomsey? 

The young bloke got a decent snapper there, but only the 2 fish when we went there. 

I'm told its mainly just a lot of pinkies and garbage fish there 90% of the time 

north reef has a beacon on the eastern edge  it holds good numbers of kingfish usually.....theres a saddle in the reef 60mtrs west of beacon   that fishes ok for jew of a night with livies....other spots close by are the mud hole and the two wrecks out from stocko breakwall.......rick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2018 at 8:05 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

north reef has a beacon on the eastern edge  it holds good numbers of kingfish usually.....theres a saddle in the reef 60mtrs west of beacon   that fishes ok for jew of a night with livies....other spots close by are the mud hole and the two wrecks out from stocko breakwall.......rick

Cheers Rick, I heard a lot of rat kings usually... do you fish the tides there for kings or would you find them there when the bait is around anytime of day?

I was there at night when we went, I was marking fish but they wouldn't touch the plastics we were throwing at them. 

On 11/21/2018 at 9:22 PM, Loomesy said:

Hi Garfield 28

Found a good patch of Flattys bout 500m west of the reef.  Could not mark any bait or fish over the reef so didn't bother as to many rock cod.  Cheers Loomesy 

_20181121_211813.JPG

Nice feed of flatties there Loomsey gotta be happy with that! 

Terrible conditions all week and continuing this weekend, can't wait for a break and I might have a drift around and see if I can pick a few flatties up myself.

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Early morn late arvo for kings  small livies best  sometimes get trag on reef at night.....i used to fish for jews 80 mtrs inside beacon on sth edge  another little patch of reef south west is good for jew at night also  look on navionics

Cheers mate