What Gear Ratio Should I Use For Throwing Divers, Poppers and Plastics Around Snags For Jacks

madfishohamish

I've Been Jack Fishing Quite a Bit Lately, Managed a Few up Bonville Creek, But There's One Thing I Need and That's a New Baitcaster Setup for Throwing Divers, Poppers and Plastics Deep into Snags. I'll Most Likely get a Curado K but I just need help with the Gear Ratio.

Any Help or Suggestions Would Be Much Appreciated.

Cherrs Hamish 

Edited by madfishohamish

Gday Hamish,
ratio wont matter mate the poppers and plastics you'll be "working" them (stop, start, hop etc.) and as for divers well you wont want high speed your just doing a few jerks and winds and slow rolling whilst keeping it in the zone as long as possible.

What you want to focus on is that the drag is smooth when set heavy. You may need to "lock it up" (for oyster covered pilons etc. that hold big ones) and you dont want it pulsing or sticky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brett01 said:

Gday Hamish,
ratio wont matter mate the poppers and plastics you'll be "working" them (stop, start, hop etc.) and as for divers well you wont want high speed your just doing a few jerks and winds and slow rolling whilst keeping it in the zone as long as possible.

What you want to focus on is that the drag is smooth when set heavy. You may need to "lock it up" (for oyster covered pilons etc. that hold big ones) and you dont want it pulsing or sticky.

Hey Mate, I'm Probably Going To Go With The Curado K Heard A Lot of Good Things About It And Doesn't Have Sticky Drag Like Some Reels. 

Cheers Hamish 

Edited by madfishohamish

40 minutes ago, Great_White said:

Nothing High Speed ie over 6.x:1

Ideally anything from 4.x:1 to 5.0:1

Just like @brett01 said ... concentrate on a good drag set up !!

Great_White

Hey Mate I'm Gonna Probably Go The Curado K, It's Got a 6:3:1 Retrieve Ratio So I Think It'll Be a Good All Round Reel For Jacks, Trevs and Bass.

Cheers Hamish