Dual outboard flusher

Omally

Hi raiders.... Just a simple outboard flusher I recently gave my outboard a 100 hour service changed my impeller and thermostat  so I thought why not always wanted to get one works awesome..... I noticed with how they were if I'd squeeze them on the tell tale would shoot out nearly twice the distance with these it works like that without squeezing them. 

So if ya got a couple of hose fittings around might make for quick 5 minute project... And sorry if it's been done as it's very basic  had a quick look couldn't find anything 

Cheers guys 

IMG_20180216_2145.jpg

Edited by Omally
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Looks good.  I just bought the a shop version which was only a few bucks more than the single input version.  Although its only been a year and the rubber is starting to split.  Doesnt get used much and is kept in the shed so must just be poor quality.

According to my mechanic the double sided aren't needed, the doubles I've had in the past have not lasted to well. The connectors have been weak and the rubber ( plastic ) on the muffs have become brittle and break up. I suppose at around $15 you can't expect much.IMG_1672.thumb.JPG.412ed60270c2017c0a7a28e70be59e1a.JPG

These very simple much softer rubber type last for many years but are very hard to find for sale.

1 hour ago, JonD said:

According to my mechanic the double sided aren't needed, the doubles I've had in the past have not lasted to well. The connectors have been weak and the rubber ( plastic ) on the muffs have become brittle and break up. I suppose at around $15 you can't expect much.IMG_1672.thumb.JPG.412ed60270c2017c0a7a28e70be59e1a.JPG

These very simple much softer rubber type last for many years but are very hard to find for sale.

Totally agree mate.When you pull off the intake grills its only one water passage that runs up the leg.

A single flusher is plenty as long as you have a healthy impellor on your engine to suck up the water.

In my experience diverting water from one feed hose and splitting it into feeding two only reduces the water pressure not increase it.

I have the same single muff as you.

Omally did a good job though ill give him that.

Well done mate.

Totally agree Omally did do a great job, don't get me wrong. 

In this photo you can see where I've glued where those double flushers blow appart, the square cups are also very stiff and tend not to seal very well. I've had a few of these which have all broken the same, which is no problem if you are watching at the time but guys who have to get into their boats to turn off the engines need to be very careful of this type.

I connect a saltaway flushing system to my flushing cups, this also adds more connections that could possibly fail, so I always observe how the flush is going. The good thing with the saltaway is I only have to do a a few minutes of flush.

IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.fbb0fec98176cc6dd5965dd6fd956230.JPG

Edited by JonD

Hi jon,

A solution to your issue is to cut the hoses and fit a brass hose splitter and you'll  never have to worry again.

Also try soaking the rubber cups in hot water for a few seconds to make them more pliable and seal better.

Cheers.

@JonD thats strange, I have used the same double earmuffs for at least 10yrs... no issues. Maybe where you buy them has a bad batch, but as @Fab1 says a garden hose y-splitter should fix that problem permanently.

I always felt that if hose water pressure is affecting the power of the tell tale then your water pump is starting to fail.  The hose pressure should not be forcing water past the water pump impellers.  Out on the water,  your motor leg is submerged and its totally relying on the water pump to push the water up the leg (there is no hose pressure to help it). So when flushing  if the hose pressure is pushing up past the water pump that indicates to me that the impeller blades have worn out, or are getting soft and about to fail.  The purpose of the earmuffs and hose are just to provide sufficient water immersion for the water pump impeller to do its job. 

Lots of people prefer to flush using a bucket/barrel which submerges the lower leg to help that water pump immersion .  I took a variation of this idea, and made a muffler/silencer flusher gizmo out of pvc pipe that also fed a water column to the prop exhaust. This coupled with the double earmuffs simulated the leg being immersed in water and also provided back pressure to the exhaust for a smoother quieter idle.    I posted on this several years ago in this fishraider post. 

Cheers

Zoran

9 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Hi jon,

A solution to your issue is to cut the hoses and fit a brass hose splitter and you'll  never have to worry again.

Also try soaking the rubber cups in hot water for a few seconds to make them more pliable and seal better.

Cheers.

As mentioned I don't use those whitworths ones anymore, the simple soft rubber ones I posted earlier have never given me any issues. I do use brass fittings on both ends of my hose but they still join to plastic on muffs or other wash mixers. 

3 minutes ago, JonD said:

As mentioned I don't use those whitworths ones anymore, the simple soft rubber ones I posted earlier have never given me any issues. I do use brass fittings on both ends of my hose but they still join to plastic on muffs or other wash mixers. 

I saw the simple ones at the W store the other day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fab1 said:

I saw the simple ones at the W store the other day.

Are you sure they were the stainless with rubber cups and not the plastic cups?  If so I will grab a spare next time I'm up.

3 minutes ago, JonD said:

Are you sure they were the stainless with rubber cups and not the plastic cups?  If so I will grab a spare next time I'm up.

The ones i bought are like the one you pictured.stainless/rubber.

• Like 1