Balmain Blackfish

Ryder

Hi Raiders

I fished the runout tide from about 11am. There were good signs of life on the first drift. My float just dipped below the surface a couple of times, there were fish around, they just wouldn't commit. I shortened up 6 inches and 2 drifts later I was on. A good solid 40cm specimen.The action continued and I bagged 5 more in the next half hour.

Then I had a problem. I cast out and got a huge overrun and tangle on the old Trudex. I got most of it out before I managed to tighten the last few loops into a solid knot. A quick tug and the line snapped. When I looked back at the water my float was gone, I laid down my rod and brought in the line hand over hand. Another good fish made the net.

I rerigged, thought about changing the leader, but didn't. Next fish I snapped off. Typical. I replaced the leader but things went quiet for a while. I guess the fish went and told his mates.

With the tide running out I changed depth a few times before I found the fish again. The drift changed and started coming back towards the wharf and the fish were right at my feet. When I hooked up they went straight under and around the pylons. I lost 2 more, 1 was most likely a surgeon, my float popped up then shot down out of sight in a split second. I pulled the hook on both.

I managed 1 more but called it, and left them biting. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

G'day Ryder. What do you mean by "I shortened up 6 inches?" Sounds like an eventful session you had. You obviously know a lot about Blackfish and their habits though. Still on my bucket list to actually catch some Blackfish. Cheers, bn

Hi Neil

The fish feed at a certain depth. I set my float stopper to the assumed depth. Too deep, they will bait you and the float will hardly move. Too shallow they will ignore it.

By shortening up I meant I moved the float stopper down my line so the bait is presented a little shallower, or further up off the bottom.

Next time you're in the big smoke we can have another crack at them.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for the explanation, that's what I thought it was. Is Blackfishing in estuaries, etc any good in Winter? Maybe making a trip to Sydney in late April /early May. Would be lovely to have another go at them. Cheers, bn

I'm sure we can find a few. August is the worst.

23 minutes ago, blaxland said:

How do you cook your blackfish and I hear bleeding is important?

Yes,  you need to bleed them. Luderick Angler also taught me to nick the spine after you gut them to get more blood out. And if you are cooking them whole, clean out the black stomach lining with a scourer as it taints the flesh.

I usually fillet, skin and bone them, dust in flour and fry them. Last night I made fish tacos.

Smoking is also a great option. Once again LA showed me. Smoked blackfish roe sack is incredible.

• Like 1

ryder, was that at balmain wharf?? i usually fish at the water police and at time i can see a school of black fish feeding near the rocks... but they dont bite... what do you use for bait? and how i can attract them to feed?  if possible, i would love to join you for a session. im base at Balmain also.

cheers

sam

Cheers guys.

I recently lost the private access to Johns Jetty. He sold up for 5mil +.

Spot belongs to another client who keeps a very low profile.

Sorry Papafish, I can't take anyone else onto the property 

21 hours ago, Ryder said:

Cheers guys.

I recently lost the private access to Johns Jetty. He sold up for 5mil +.

Spot belongs to another client who keeps a very low profile.

Sorry Papafish, I can't take anyone else onto the property 

That’s fine. Any tips as what bait to target them? And how to burley them?

Papa, it's never the same from one day to the next. All part of the challenge!

If the 'down' is slow, wait 3 or more seconds. Could need up to 10 secs (or more).

If the float rockets down, tighten up straight away.

Blackies have a soft mouth, so a big strike is not necessary as you can pull the hook.

Hope this helps.