Couple of ID requests. (Estuary Catfish & Blind Shark)

notoriousTASH

Question

Hello raiders,

Hope everyone is well. I haven't had the chance to get out much as I've started a new job and am in some very intense training but tonight we went out to Malabar and had a fish. Very interesting evening as two out of the three species we caught, we have no idea what they are! (Third species were 2x sting rays in case you were curious). All safely returned to the drink, of course. Please let us know what they are! Little bit of a description for you 

1. I caught this one on a 10lb braided line with 10lb mono leader with a circle hook and small ball sinker. A guesstimate on its length id say around the 30-40cm mark. It seemed to look like some kind of catfish and it was NOT happy being out of the water, hence the poor images. It just kept thrashing around. Also, not sure how much this helps, but this thing smelt horrible. Really pungent fishy smell. If there's no positive ID I'll just refer to it as the hobo of the ocean. 

2. My partner caught this one, not sure what rig was used. This one seemed like a shark with either a very healthy appetite or pregnant(?). Really big belly as you can see, dark, rough sandpaper-like skin. Cant tell you much more about it other than it was probably around the 40-50cm mark.

20180217_211452.jpg

Resized_20180217_211458_120.jpeg

Resized_20180217_213437_8010.jpeg

5 answers to this question

First one is a Estuary Catfish "Cnidoglanis macrocephalous"

They have poisonous Dorsal and Pectoral spines .... and bloody hurt. So be careful with those ones.

Second one is a Blind Shark "Brachaelurus waddi"

Good on you for returning them to the water.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blackfish said:

First one is a Estuary Catfish "Cnidoglanis macrocephalous"

They have poisonous Dorsal and Pectoral spines .... and bloody hurt. So be careful with those ones.

Second one is a Blind Shark "Brachaelurus waddi"

Good on you for returning them to the water.:)

Do blind sharks give birth to live young?