Broughton Island 9/3/18

TK01

I think I saw 5m+ swells predicted for Wed/Thu so I hope it drops off for you for the weekend. I’m hoping to get out this Monday but already the forecast has changed from slight to moderate swell and it varies from E to S with light to moderate S winds. I am so keen to get out there I might have to buy a bigger boat!

• Like 1

On 02/03/2018 at 2:01 PM, Berleyguts said:

I think I saw 5m+ swells predicted for Wed/Thu so I hope it drops off for you for the weekend. I’m hoping to get out this Monday but already the forecast has changed from slight to moderate swell and it varies from E to S with light to moderate S winds. I am so keen to get out there I might have to buy a bigger boat!

Trying not to pay too much attention to the forecast for a few more days ?

Haha I often think that! I always come back to the fact that my boat is a lot more versatile than a big one... I wish I had could have a fleet tbh 

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is another trip to Broughton that I must postpone.  Just got word that my father in law has been booked in for a quadruple bypass op on Friday, so wife is going to Newcastle to be with him and her mum, and I'm looking after the kids.  The kids don't even like fishing, everything is so unfair (yes I'm being sarcastic, but yes I'm also disappointed).

17 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

bummer...im not sure if im goin broughton or forster...rick

The following weekend I'll be at Elizabeth Beach and hoping to launch from the beach there and fish inshore.  If conditions no good then we'll smash the flatties in the lake.

Hi all especially TK01.  I was surprised to hear you anchor off shore and swim out to boat in the dark, this seams a bit dodgy given it's prime noah time.  I have my trailer set up so I don't even get my feet wet.

I used to camp on a river with big tide variances which meant I had to anchor overnight with boat way off the bank or wake to possibly have it high and dry. I have seen photos of boats anchored in tropical lagoons using the same method.  Bit hard to explain what I did but here goes.

• Get a large stainless ring about 2 or 3inch diameter at least and attach this to end of anchor chain on large anchor.
  • Run end of LONG rope through ring and attach end to front bollard.
  • Drive boat a fair bit wider than you want boat to sit.
  • Feed out rope and lower anchor to bottom and slowly back up to beach feeding anchor line out as you go.  You will have doubled rope out front and can feel it feeding through the ring as you go.
  • Go a short way, pull on both doubled ropes to ensure chain straight and anchor is set in bottom. 
  • When you get out on beach you have 2 options.  If rope is long enough pull it all out of boat and attach end to rear bollard, or alternatively you can attach another rope to bollard.
  • You now have 2 ropes on beach.
  • Now pull boat out with 1st rope that is running through ring feeding out rope from rear bollard rope  as you pull other rope in.
  • Boat moves out to where you want it.  Make sure you don't go too far as anchor may lift if your too far on top of anchor.
  • Now tie off both ropes on shore to tree, another anchor, post etc.
  • To get boat back to shore you pull in rear rope letting bow rope feed out.

The 1st rope can also run from stern if you want boat pointed the other way but unless you have a strong offshore wind you mostly want bow pointed out to sea. 

Hope this helps.   Ron

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, campr said:

Hi all especially TK01.  I was surprised to hear you anchor off shore and swim out to boat in the dark, this seams a bit dodgy given it's prime noah time.  I have my trailer set up so I don't even get my feet wet.

I used to camp on a river with big tide variances which meant I had to anchor overnight with boat way off the bank or wake to possibly have it high and dry. I have seen photos of boats anchored in tropical lagoons using the same method.  Bit hard to explain what I did but here goes.

• Get a large stainless ring about 2 or 3inch diameter at least and attach this to end of anchor chain on large anchor.
  • Run end of LONG rope through ring and attach end to front bollard.
  • Drive boat a fair bit wider than you want boat to sit.
  • Feed out rope and lower anchor to bottom and slowly back up to beach feeding anchor line out as you go.  You will have doubled rope out front and can feel it feeding through the ring as you go.
  • Go a short way, pull on both doubled ropes to ensure chain straight and anchor is set in bottom. 
  • When you get out on beach you have 2 options.  If rope is long enough pull it all out of boat and attach end to rear bollard, or alternatively you can attach another rope to bollard.
  • You now have 2 ropes on beach.
  • Now pull boat out with 1st rope that is running through ring feeding out rope from rear bollard rope  as you pull other rope in.
  • Boat moves out to where you want it.  Make sure you don't go too far as anchor may lift if your too far on top of anchor.
  • Now tie off both ropes on shore to tree, another anchor, post etc.
  • To get boat back to shore you pull in rear rope letting bow rope feed out.

The 1st rope can also run from stern if you want boat pointed the other way but unless you have a strong offshore wind you mostly want bow pointed out to sea. 

Hope this helps.   Ron

Thanks Ron that’s a great tip, much appreciated.

Another good setup I’ve seen is to have a bungee cord attached to the anchor so it pulls boat out from the beach and when you want to jump in you can pull the boat in using a rope secured on shore. Let it go and the bungee cord pulls it back out safely away from shore. 

I just find I sleep a lot better when the boat is secured to a mooring rather than an anchor. But yeah then there’s that other issue of getting eaten when I swim out to get the boat. If my boat was bigger I’d take the yak with me.

11 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Just use a small inflatable. You can pump on boat and let down when you get back on. Then it won’t take up any room! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

How about I just send the decky out to get the boat?

• Like 1

You can run a line from shore to anchor and chain dropped out at a suitable distance. Then use two short lines with s/s snap hooks spliced in each end. You then clip each short line onto the main line, one from the bow and one from the stern. The boat moves along the line with the tide. Tie a second line to the stern back to shore and pull the boat in when needed.

it needs to be a good heavy anchor with plenty of chain. When I had a van at a ski park at Wisemans Ferry, we’d make a big concrete block and fix the line in permanently, well until someone cut the rope with their prop anyway!

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

gotta try n come up n take you for a fish baz..we need a foto of you holdin up a good red mate...maybe Monday will be the day..fingers crossed for you..rick

One day it will all come together! ?