Show us your custom built rods

xerotao

Butterworth JS980X jigging/trolling/livebaiting rod. Fuji guides and AFTCO (?) roller tip. Built it in Jan 1981 as a 10kg rod. Ran a Daiwa Sealine 450H star drag on it. I now use a Shimano Tyrnos 30 2 speed and 15kg. Need to christen it... hopefully this March!

3CD7AA5F-E8CB-493E-B3DF-839A14BF8E13.jpeg

228AE2B2-7327-4B8C-B71D-3EDA197A6B5D.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice old schools baz..I still have fmt72l and js980.haha  must mean we are old...rick

Old? Surely there’s a better way to look at it! ? We must be of similar vintage!

The FMT72L is a great rod. A soft, forgiving action. I caught my Masters stripey on it on 3kg and I think both my Masters silver trevally on 2kg (at Gunsight reef - does anyone still fish there?). My wife likes using it. It later became available in a Snyderglass blank and I have one of those too.

And the JS980? Masters albacore on 10kg...  a heap of kings at LHI... 3 1/2 hours on a huge yellowfin on 10kg off Narooma in a 14 foot Quinnie, only to have it roll up in the leader and wear through the double on the finlets. ? It’s a great stick!

• Like 1

these just show if you build them properly they will last..all the rods I have shown are over 20yrs old and have caught heaps of fish on them...I have heaps of others but wont show them as they have rust showing thru and horrible looking epoxy  but...they still catch fish...rick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

these just show if you build them properly they will last..all the rods I have shown are over 20yrs old and have caught heaps of fish on them...I have heaps of others but wont show them as they have rust showing thru and horrible looking epoxy  but...they still catch fish...rick

I stopped building them because I didn’t have as much time and space to do it and there became more choice and quality in off the rack rods. I have some other older rods with broken guides that I need to strip down and rebuild, though. I might get back into it... the satisfaction of doing it yourself. ?

• Like 1

Last one.  This is a 1-2kg spin stick that I built very quickly for a trout trip years ago.  Caught some trout on it then got back home and caught an 87cm jewie on it, yew!  Very cheap stick that has now caught dozens of fish and still going strong.  I got the blank for free off a mate and spent probably $10-$15 on components (mudhole bargains).  By far my cheapest and fastest build but one of my favourites.  (oh it's the one in the middle).

IMG_3506.JPG.92c97413b404b714660375b5290cbed3.JPG

• Like 1