Jervis Bay Boat Ramps

bakes1978

Hey Raiders

Heading down to Jervis Bay for the Easter weekend and was hoping to get some advice on suitable boat ramps for a 6m boat. Will be staying at Callala Beach and the ramp at Callala Bay would be the closet, however I have heard this can get very shallow at times and is better for small boats.

Any advise on the best ramps in the area would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

I'm not too familiar with the ramp itself but you don't really have another option in the Callala area for launching into the bay.

If you're willing to drive 45 mins to 1 hour you have ramps at Woolamia and Murrays Beach that will both handle large trailer boats.

You could also launch at the Crookhaven Heads ramp at Culburra if you're planning on fishing offshore.

• Like 1

The ramp at Callala bay is only really suitable for a boat of your size on high tide. Its really shallow and was poorly designed from day dot. The old one was a better design than what is there now.

There is another ramp at Myola that launches into the creek that runs out past Huskisson. It should be fine for you on all but the lowest of tides. Unfortunately i discovered my new boat and trailer are far too long for that ramp on anything below a half tide. It is a fairly narrow creek/river and 4 knots the whole way out into the bay but is very safe and well marked. Gives you good access. Its only about 5 mins away from Callala beach.

You also have obviously Huskisson which has decent launching and parking facilities or Murrays which is way out near Bowen Island and offers good facilities other than the car park which has seen a number of break ins occur.

All in all if i were you id be putting in at Myola and heading out past Huskisson

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Would the ramp at Crookhaven heads be OK, will be heading out the Banks if the weather is OK. Was looking at options in JB in case the weather was not so good and to save the drive. The only ramp I have used in the area was the West St ramp at Greenwell Point, but that was some time ago

Cheers

Hey mate, I have a holiday house down calalla beach and fish jb quite often, it’s an awesome place. I have a quintrex 610 offshore which I launch off Callala Bay boat ramp and I’ve never had any dramas whether it’s high or low tide yet. If your new to the area it might be wise to have some help with you because the wharf is a little high off the water level even at high tide. Good luck and tight lines!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bakes1978 said:

Thanks guys

Would the ramp at Crookhaven heads be OK, will be heading out the Banks if the weather is OK. Was looking at options in JB in case the weather was not so good and to save the drive. The only ramp I have used in the area was the West St ramp at Greenwell Point, but that was some time ago

Cheers

Crookhaven ramp is a great ramp and good access to the banks. Its only about 8.5-9 nm run.

Currarong is the closest access to the banks but is a shit fight of a ramp and not one i'd been keen to launch a fibreglass boat at.

New ramp at greenwell point is top notch as well and has a floating pontoon

The ramps will be busy as per every ramp during Easter, is you boat Alloy or F/g

I have launched at most of the ramps with my 5.4m Alloy Bowrider without drama and Calalla ramp is fine except for king low tides, the rest of the time its just a pain as the jetty is so high.

Currarong can be a tricky ramp but is good access straight out, only launched there once and as my mate live sthere he knew all the tricks but it was more just being a new ramp for me that was the drama. The pole dividers are a pain but help keep it two lanes and there is a rock break stopping you going to far back.

I like Myola river as its sheltered and a 5 min drive back to Calalla Bay and our friends place and the 4knt zone gives me time to clean up and pack stuff away before I get it on the trailer.

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, stalwart said:

I know this is a bit old but I have a 5.2m stacer bowrider. Would this be ok at Myola ramp? Im heading down this week.

Cheers

Mate, you shouldn't have any problems. 

I have a 5.7mtr Quintrex bowrider and used Myola when I was staying at Jervis Bay Caravan Park a couple of years ago and had no issues what so ever launching or retreiving.

• 1 year later...
44 minutes ago, Matheus said:

Hey fellas!

A 5m fiberglass boat would be ok in Calalla boat ramp?

I think that question has been covered within this thread.

The other suggestion for the bait would be look through here-

https://www.fishraider.com.au/search/?&q=jervis&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Another tip would be to look at this info-

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/marine-protected-areas/marine-parks/jervis-bay-marine-park

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/656326/Jervis-Bay-Marine-Park-Zoning-Map-2018.PDF

Edited by kingie chaser