Leaking Tiled Roof - Any Ideas?

Berleyguts

In the recent heavy rain here at Port Stephens, my roof decided to leak, with water dripping through the downlight over our dining table. It’s happened once before for a brief time but not again until now, so it only appears to be with extreme rain from the south. I made sure that light couldn’t be switched on and this morning I climbed up on the roof to have a look. Ridge capping and mortar is in good nic and there are no cracked tiles. The only thing I think it could be is a couple of tiles sit a few mm higher at the front than those beside it and maybe the extreme wind lifted them a little it? I climbed inside the roof and there was only some slight water marks near the downlight and the sarking seems intact, although there is a join above the leak but I think there’s enough overlap but there is a bit of excess sarking hanging down. I can’t seem to adjust those tiles. Any ideas what to do? The roof was fully refurbished by the previous owners just a few years ago.

Thanks,

Baz

Guest Guest123456789

I had a leaky roof recently, started from the leak and when from there. Managed to track the water travelling along a rafter from a leak in the point capping.

my plan B was to get the wife inside the roof with a torch while I got on the roof with the hose

So you are saying the roof is sarked?  

The tiles are presumably cement if when you say refurbished you mean painted?

Is it a normal looking roof pitch? As in not a low slope.

Is it a single story house? Going by your description it sounds like there is no other roof or downpipes spreader putting extra water on the area.

Is it a long distance between the ridge and the leak. 

It can be hard tracking a leak with a sarked  roof and even harder when it has been repainted as the tendency is to not want to move the tiles.

We have had found some with hairline cracks in a tile where the nails have been over driven cracking the tile.  Inspecting it thevceack wasn’t noticeable until the tile was removed.

Others have a crack, break or damage in the watercourse ( the overlap section on the bottom tile) again it needs to be removed to see on a sarked roof. 

I would remove a tile around the leak spot and look for water tracking marks on the sarking.

Getting in the roof when it’s raining might be a starting point but it may be imposdible to see the problem with sarking.

Yes, cement tiles, painted. Normal pitch. Double storey house.

I think the water has been driven in under a tile and up the sarking until it reaches a join which is above the downlight. I’m struggling to move the tiles. I’ve got some top quality ducting tape. I’ll run it along the overlap in the sarking. Might not know if it works until the next howling southerly and 80-100mm of rain!

Edited by Berleyguts

Is there a valley in the roof  - sometimes they can back up and overflow if they get a few leaves in them or if its a low pitch roof and strong rain it can be blown under the tiles , once the water gets in with sarking, it can run a fair way downhill before making an appearance.

Always frustrating to track down  -perhaps start by hitting anything thats a bit suspect and facing south with silicon sealant.

• Like 1

Mate, just seal the gaps between the roof tiles that are south facing with Sikaflex Pro. You will be able to get it in the colour of your tiles & do all the joins & it will be fixed. I had an old house in Five Dock with a very old roof that did the same thing. Did that & no more problems. Silicon won't work. Spend the money on the right product & it will last for a very long time. Good luck with it.

Edited by Jewhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Yes, cement tiles, painted. Normal pitch. Double storey house.

I think the water has been driven in under a tile and up the sarking until it reaches a join which is above the downlight. I’m struggling to move the tiles. I’ve got some top quality ducting tape. I’ll run it along the overlap in the sarking. Might not know if it works until the next howling southerly and 80-100mm of rain!

It would be very uncommon for water to be driven under cement tiles I’d think.   Unless they weren’t lapped correctly to start with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welster said:

It would be very uncommon for water to be driven under cement tiles I’d think.   Unless they weren’t lapped correctly to start with.

There are a couple that appear to not sit as flat as the others. I’ll try and reseat them and I’ll have another look higher up for cracks or maybe a small hole in some pointing. It’s damn hard climbing around in the roof space with all the air con ducting, especially when I’m claustrophobic!

2 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

Mate, just seal the gaps between the roof tiles that are south facing with Sikaflex Pro. You will be able to get it in the colour of your tiles & do all the joins & it will be fixed. I had an old house in Five Dock with a very old roof that did the same thing. Did that & no more problems. Silicon won't work. Spend the money on the right product & it will last for a very long time. Good luck with it.

Thanks. I was thinking of using Sikaflex.