Burrendong Lake Advice

josamill

Hi - I'm a keen saltwater fisherman. Never fished a freshwater impoundment in my life. My son an I are heading to Burrendong Lake near Mudgee over Easter for some camping. I'll be towing a 4.5M tinny with electric bow mount etc. Any suggestions on 'how' to fish a body of water like this appreciated! I haven't got a clue!!:blink:

• Like 1

if you're bait fishing tie yourself up in the timber and fish vertical near the bottom worms are a good all round bait

don't fish to deep

if your lure casting focus on the points and the timber  

impoundments can be very hit and miss I grew up fishing copeton and pindari and still struggle half the time when I'm out there

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

if you're bait fishing tie yourself up in the timber and fish vertical near the bottom worms are a good all round bait

don't fish to deep

if your lure casting focus on the points and the timber  

impoundments can be very hit and miss I grew up fishing copeton and pindari and still struggle half the time when I'm out there

Hi Dave, I've got lots of good memories of fishing Pindari, Copeton, Keepit, Split Rock...albeit a very long time ago. As you say hit and miss! bn

• Like 1

17 hours ago, josamill said:

Hi - I'm a keen saltwater fisherman. Never fished a freshwater impoundment in my life. My son an I are heading to Burrendong Lake near Mudgee over Easter for some camping. I'll be towing a 4.5M tinny with electric bow mount etc. Any suggestions on 'how' to fish a body of water like this appreciated! I haven't got a clue!!:blink:

If you can establish fish on your sounder then trolling lures at that depth is as good as anything else for getting a few on board. Look at the contours of the land where it enters the water and visualise what's happening under the water. There are some steep rock faces in Burrendong and fish often hold in mid water, close in to these. There are plenty of Redfin in there so if you happen upon a school, you'll probably catch heaps. Good luck, bn

• Like 2

Some of the same rules apply as in salt water, some are different:

Most fish like structure, whether to hide from predators or to hide from prey.

Agree with bigneil about marking fish and trolling that depth.

Worms on small hooks with floats can be very deadly.

If you're camping you may be able to put out traps for yabbies (check legality of course, I don't know for that area). Good for live bait or a feed.

There's no tidal flow so fish activity patterns are influenced by daylight, weather, water temperature. 

Just like salt water, knowing what you're chasing and their specific habits is most of the battle. 

For trolling, casting, or float fishing, contour lines can be very productive. 

Spinnerbaits are good for fresh water, you can pick up the spinners by themselves and convert nearly any SP jig into a spinnerbait that's good for casting with a slow roll retrieve or for trolling. Control the depth of the lure with the weight of the jig head and speed of troll/retrieve. Spinnerbait are sensitive to trolling/retrieving too fast, so make sure you drop them alongside the boat to check how they run in the water and adjust accordingly. If it's too fast you'll see them leaning on an angle and they'll tend to skip up out of the water. 

Edited by MainframeJames
  • Like 1