Paper Maps

shakey55

It might sound silly to some, but in today’s modern technology are you still required (NSW) to carry maps (paper) of the area you are fishing or do gps/fisfinder, smart phones now take over from paper maps. 

Ive read a little on the RMS site and I find it a little confusing. 

I don't have as much experience in this area with boating but from 15 years of military and back country experience I always carry paper maps and a compass. I laminate my own using one of the cheapo laminators from office supply shops but I also have a purpose made map pouch that works great. The pouch is air and watertight so it even floats as long as you don't squeeze 100% of the air out when you seal it. 

In over 55 years of fishing outside the heads all along the east coast I have never had the need to refer to a chart/map although I had them on the boat and never once been asked by an authority to produce one.

I still have all the coast maps in pvc tubes stored away, may look at them again some day.

Frank

1 hour ago, raging said:

Interesting. I wonder when that changed. I carry laminated charts in a tube in one of the forward storage lockers but I always thought it would be fiddly getting a chart out in a 4.5m open boat to do anything worthwhile with it! Maybe I can put them on the wall at home. ?

Edited by Berleyguts

4 minutes ago, frankS said:

In over 55 years of fishing outside the heads all along the east coast I have never had the need to refer to a chart/map although I had them on the boat and never once been asked by an authority to produce one.

I still have all the coast maps in pvc tubes stored away, may look at them again some day.

Frank

And then you have to keep them updated. I used to work as a clerk in the Hydrographic Office of the navy. It was quite a job for the cartographic team putting all the updates on the charts.

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Interesting. I wonder when that changed. I carry laminated charts in a tube in one of the forward storage lockers but I always thought it would be fiddly getting a chart out in a 4.5m open boat to do anything worthwhile with it! Maybe I can put them on the wall at home. ?

Wasn't that long ago, I think last February. 

Good to know, I thought they were still mandatory.  I know a guy who was asked to show his charts during an inspection probably about 5 years ago now and he didn't have any.  They did have a GPS and 3 anglers onboard who all had Navionics on their mobiles, but it still wasn't good enough from the authorities' point of view.

39 minutes ago, raging said:

Wasn't that long ago, I think last February. 

Must have been later than that.

I was pulled up by a police boat off Bondi on 16-December 2017 and they only asked to see a compass and a paper map, and life jackets.

Lucky I had a map in a plastic sleeve under a seat in the cabin. Mind you it could’ve been a map of the English Channel for all they could see in a brief flash at 15m away. 

It is ridiculous that even with a dash mounted GPS and every person on board with a smartphone in their pocket that you still needed a paper map. 

Edited by Smasher