Sunken boat

rickmarlin62

I remember reading that account a while back, probably in my fishing club newsletter. It all happened so quick! I wear an auto inflateable jacket but I do need to be sure I can grab the safety bag and flares (forward storage compartment) and EPIRB (under console) quickly. I am thinking about getting a Personal Distress Beacon to fit to my life jacket, though. ?

Edited by Berleyguts

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

too many bloody holes in it ..lol...I was tellin a mate bout it  then forgot where I saw it....must be the dementia kickin in..what was I talkin bout

Haha, but you could always salvage the rods! They are still in the holders! :) 

Strange part of the story is the skipper said he started the engines but the water drowned them as it started to sink, in the photos both engines are on full up tilt.

Could something have tripped the tilt button on the way down?.

Frank

Positive floatation wasn't compulsory in boats until 2006 I think. It is worth retrofitting old boats with foam. You can buy in blocks and cut it to size and squeeze it under gunnels etc. Up high like this means the boat will float upright. Polyethylene is the best material, one brand is called Microlene.   Vic and Tas government departments go into some detail on their maritime websites about how to do it.