Wooden boats

JimC

My first boat was a wooden dinghy that my grandfather built from a plan. The plan was for a 14ft boat but he adapted it to make a 10ft boa, using ply.. We just rowed it mostly but it had a mast step and a centreboard slot for sailing. The only time I sailed it was when the old Seagull motor ran out of fuel out in the middle of Botany Bay near the Captain Cook buoy. Rowing back to Sylvania ramp was a tough task, so we stuck an oar in the mast step, tied a sou’wester to it and used the other oar as a rudder. Made it back easy!

It was a good little boat, named Cygnet because it was a bit of an ugly duckling. My grandfather was once a prison chaplain and he showed a photo of it to a prisoner who had been a boat builder and he said, “Looks good but why’d you cover the join in the hull with that strip of timber on the outside instead of the inside?”! ?

It was a lot of work sanding back and painting that boat but very satisfying when I finished it. We ended up donating it to a scout group. There is something about timber boats that makes you feel good but I think I’ll stick to my s/c tinny... until I can afford a 6m+ walk around centre cabin anyway!?

Edited by Berleyguts

My class built a wooden boat, back in my high school days, can't remember the size but think about 14', took us the entire year and we were the only class involved in building it, it taught me a lot about woodwork and a bit about boats. In later years about 35-40 years ago I bought an old surf lifesaving boat and refurbished it them coated it with fibreglass, sure was heavy I put an old 40hp army Johnson outboard on it and putted up and down the Georges river for a few years. Old wooden boats have a character about them and a good one is worth it's weight, don't know about the kit boats I would imagine them to be a bit flimsy.

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

That's cool very interested in this topic.. Although I'd want to make an alloy one just for weight reasons 

Something around 2.5 m would be awesome was thinking about getting a 3 metre and modifying that