Scheduled power cut = enforced trip to the river

So a few weeks ago I received notification from the electricity mob that they would be cutting the supply between 9 am and 2 pm. I wrote it on the calendar as I can't remember anything these days. So about 8.30 am I'm feeding the yabbies in the garage when all these trucks turn up and block off all the roadway. The head honcho comes over and says " were you heading out mate, cos we need to park across your driveway to remove this power pole?". "Give me 10 minutes mate and I'll be out of here" I replied.

Now I had forgotten about them turning the power off and I'd already been fishing 3 times in the past week... what else can I do? I quickly gathered some bait, water and food and hooked the boat up in world record time. I knew a few of the guys who were changing the pole and gave them a friendly wave as I drove past. Alas, they could not hide their angst at having to work while I trotted off to the river. Such is life, eh?

I've been catching heaps of Cod recently, about 10 -12 each outing, but also a few Yellowbelly and Carp. Today was a red letter day though. I headed downstream to an area that I know well and had a 25 cm Cod on board in less than a minute. I cast into the current, and felt the bite, as the bait was drifting round towards the edge of the fast water. Good start! The Cod were on the chew and I moved around to several different spots to keep up the momentum. I put the shrimp net in at the first spot (against a grassy bank) and collected a pile of good-sized shrimp before moving downstream. Each spot produced smallish fish but I was having fun catching them.

I had a great bite on a couple of the fresh shrimp and the fish was stripping line off at a high rate of knots. Miraculously I kept it out of the snags and finally got it in the landing net. A Carp of 76 cms with lips like that guy from the Rolling Stones. Now here's a funny thing. A few days earlier I had caught a 78 cm Carp and it had an ordinary sort of lip. ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEA WHY SOME HAVE HUGE LIPS AND OTHERS DON'T? On the way back to the ramp I spotted a lovely bit of water that was in the shade so I hoisted another 7 Cod from here before pulling up stumps. Total for the day: 20 Cod, 2 Trout Cod and 2 Carp. Here's a few pics... no keepers. bn

The grassy bank is an ideal spot for shrimps...

IMG_0206rs.thumb.jpg.e6e04521cac7920f4cddc4b28a4e29be.jpgIMG_0203rs.thumb.jpg.26f12736a8183834ca9fbc904e9d095f.jpgIMG_0201rs.thumb.jpg.98f5d8697dbbafd10e1782ff00460185.jpgIMG_0196rs.thumb.jpg.c37d64c83a5b7fbb0c3db5d5f106aa09.jpgIMG_0195rs.thumb.jpg.5db229cbc182a883ae4a54d799c605c6.jpgIMG_0205rs.thumb.jpg.0f47328f27193a72e6be406a95274a54.jpg

Such sensuous lips. Where's Rex Hunt when you need him?

IMG_0204rs.thumb.jpg.784584593f2a474cc706148075bf0139.jpg

• Like 3

Great report Neil! Cod are a beautiful fish, indeed... don’t know about that carp, though! That’s a bit harsh comparing it to Mick Jagger! ? That mouth looks more like an anus with haemorrhoids! (The carp’s, not Mick’s!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good excuse to get on the water but then no excuse is needed. You are blessed with a great stretch of water and I for one am very glad you share your time there with us. That Carp isn't the prettiest of species but they are fun to catch.

Frank

Lol never seen a carp like that before.... Yeah I think he has some oral hygiene problems lol ... Sounds like a good forced trip but... I went down the river last night at about 11 pm to try something different and take advantage of this full moon heard a couple of big boofs but no takers... Might have another go tonight 

Edited by Omally

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Good excuse to get on the water but then no excuse is needed. You are blessed with a great stretch of water and I for one am very glad you share your time there with us. That Carp isn't the prettiest of species but they are fun to catch.

Frank

Any thoughts on why the really big lips on this particular one Frank? I've caught them with big lips before but this fella was way over the top. bn

1 hour ago, Omally said:

Lol never seen a carp like that before.... Yeah I think he has some oral hygiene problems lol ... Sounds like a good forced trip but... I went down the river last night at about 11 pm to try something different and take advantage of this full moon heard a couple of big boofs but no takers... Might have another go tonight 

It's well worth the effort cos the take on surface lures has to be experienced to be believed. Good luck with it.

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Any thoughts on why the really big lips on this particular one Frank? I've caught them with big lips before but this fella was way over the top. bn

I can only imagine it's been in an enviroment where the bottom has a lot of hardness about it instead of mud, Snapper develop their bump by bashing its head against the reef to loosen up shellgrit etc, the heavy lips would be callous .

Frank

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frankS said:

I can only imagine it's been in an enviroment where the bottom has a lot of hardness about it instead of mud, Snapper develop their bump by bashing its head against the reef to loosen up shellgrit etc, the heavy lips would be callous .

Frank

Is that true about the snapper Frank.... Never knew that hey always wondered why they had that bump....

Thanks again for the report BN, seems like the Cod are on the chew for you and as for the Carp, your right about the Stones or maybe Steve Tyler out of Aerosmith.

Poor buggars watching you as you head off, suppose someones got to do it.:lol: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Omally said:

Is that true about the snapper Frank.... Never knew that hey always wondered why they had that bump....

Yes mate, Not all big Snapper have that lump, when you catch one with a heavy bump on its forehead you generally know you are over heavy reef, but one caught over gravel or sand bed will not have the bump. They are territorial but do move from reef to reef occasionally, you can catch a bumped snapper over sand when it's moving territory.

Frank

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Houdini said:

Hey BN it's always good to read your reports they do make me homesick though.

Maybe that carp has a touch or the herpes virus been going round?

Sorry about the homesickness Houdini, it is a great place to be, that's for sure. I've caught Carp with this phenomena before and I tried doing a bit of research on the types of Carp, and whether any were noted for this feature. However, I got fed up with all the bloody ads and stupid stuff that was coming up...and gave up. Defo not Herpes virus related. A decision on WHETHER it (herpes virus) gets released at all will be made in October this year. Where r u from originally? bn

Top stuff Neil.

SIome great lios there...

always think the same, driving past all the tradies off to work in the morning on my way to a fishing spot. :D

Great pics as always. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Sorry about the homesickness Houdini, it is a great place to be, that's for sure. I've caught Carp with this phenomena before and I tried doing a bit of research on the types of Carp, and whether any were noted for this feature. However, I got fed up with all the bloody ads and stupid stuff that was coming up...and gave up. Defo not Herpes virus related. A decision on WHETHER it (herpes virus) gets released at all will be made in October this year. Where r u from originally? bn

I grew up in Narrandera and caught my first fish in the bidgee when I was 2(with a bit of help) believe it or not it was a rainbow trout probably washed down stream from good floods the previous winter!

• Like 1