Haines 16R

ricfree63

Hi Everyone, just picked up a Haines 16R very good nick for age 1985 Suzuki 85hp on the back, but the two holes in the engine well are under water  when sitting is this right or is the motor too heavy it says it is rated to 115hp, I want to take it outside on calm days but worried about how low it sits

I had similar concerns when I had an Evinrude 120HP on the back of mine. Its said I could have a 130 I think it was but the older two strokes are pretty heavy. I think mine was around 180 kilos. I replaced it with a newer 90HP  which was around 40 kilos lighter and the back end sits up a bit. I'm guessing your suzi would be similar weight.

Big thing to watch are following sea's and if you put out a drogue. I never felt comfortable  with the old engine even though I think it was probably going to be ok.  My Engine well gets a lot of water in it when I am outside drifting. 

Are you able to move things around to redistribute the weight to put the nose down a bit?

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, antonywardle said:

I had similar concerns when I had an Evinrude 120HP on the back of mine. Its said I could have a 130 I think it was but the older two strokes are pretty heavy. I think mine was around 180 kilos. I replaced it with a newer 90HP  which was around 40 kilos lighter and the back end sits up a bit. I'm guessing your suzi would be similar weight.

Big thing to watch are following sea's and if you put out a drogue. I never felt comfortable  with the old engine even though I think it was probably going to be ok.  My Engine well gets a lot of water in it when I am outside drifting. 

Are you able to move things around to redistribute the weight to put the nose down a bit?

Hi, I think the Suzuki weighs about 120kg  and I have a 80L tank in the bow and will be moving the battery up front also