Harbour after the full moon

Abs

So we decided to go to the harbour yesterday as it has produced some solid Jews and kingies for us. 

Had the bait tank filled with yakkas from the usual spot in rosebay by 5am  We had them down in the water at our jewfish spot which has produced 5 weeks in a row. 

Nothing... nothing at all. There were around 30 boats around wedding cake West but knowone at our spot. We accepted defeat at 10.30am and headed back in. The boat ramp was busy with boats who had accepted the same fate. I decided to be nosy and chat with the other guys retrieving to make myself feel better about the day by hearing other failed trips. As I was chatting with one guy, who also had the same luck inside and outside the heads , another guy overheard us and joined saying he experienced the same. Then a third guy walking passed also jumped in and said the same. 

Could it be the full moon is to blame??  Is it a myth or fact?

Absolutely! With the currents running so fast between the tides it spooks the fish to  put them off the bite. Lesson No.1 - Never Fish 5 days either side of a full moon!

One to remember for next trip!

12 minutes ago, anf said:

Absolutely! With the currents running so fast between the tides it spooks the fish to  put them off the bite. Lesson No.1 - Never Fish 5 days either side of a full moon!

One to remember for next trip!

Not necessarily. I have found the 5 days before full moon is the best time to fish, but only at the change of tides. The currents narrow the window that fish have to feed to the hour around slack water, and confuses the bait fish making the big predators more inclined to be on the prowl.

fished newcastle harbour on full moon from 8pm to 1 am with a high tide at 10.30pm. Not a touch with livies and squid I caught that day. Fished good structure with heaps of tailor showing up so surprised we didn't get a hit. Maybe the full moon theory of poor jew fishing could be correct.

It's usually better around the new moon rather than the full moon off Sydney. However, looking back at our records, there have been plenty of exceptions. How many fishos go out religiously according to the solunar tables?

We fished Tuesday and Wednesday, six hours each day, from west of the Bridge to Long Reef, for a grand total of two frigates, two 10 inch tailor and a cockney bream. fished lures and live slimeys, cast, trolled, reef drop offs, sand flats, wharves, plastics, blades, jigs, dropped leader sizes, fished tide changes.Was utterly dead. 

I fished on Wanda beach last night until 10:00 pm. The water looked perfect but I didn't get any thing to keep. There were at least 15 people on the beach, I only saw two keeper fish caught.

Then I went back this morning fished in howling wind from 11:30 to 1:30 pm. Caught 5 fish with one flathead went about 55 cm.

Seems we should all try to fish daytime when it is fully moon?