New fishing Boat

phill81

Hi all,

In the market for a new fishing boat with about 30-35K to spend. I'd mostly be sticking to the rivers and maybe head out once in a while if the conditions were awesome. I like the look of the side consoles and am currently thinking between a Qunitrex 450 Top Ender or a Formosa Sea Rod 480 classic.

Anyone had any experiences with these boats or have any other suggestions? 

cheers

I’m really happy with my Stacer Outlaw 449 SC. Have a look at the Stacers. They come out of the same factory (Telwater) as Quintrex and Savage and I believe they are cheaper than the Quinnies. Mine handles itself well in bad weather. At $30-35k you can probably get a bigger boat than mine, eg, a 469 or 489. Consider the Evinrude ETEC engines, a “clean” 2 stroke and I think cheaper and lighter than a 4.

I have just taken ownership of a stacer 469 with a 75 hp evinrude , I am more than happy with my purchase and yes cheaper than the quiney , took it out today in a 14 knot southerly and it was a dry ride . I added a lowrance 9ti total scan , Bimini and 2 rear steps and ocean splash well for less $$$ than the quiney .

• Like 1

I have a 440 Mako Frenzy. Love it.  3mm top and bottom sides. 1.2m keel, takes the rough stuff well for a small boat. Rides well and exceeding stable. I fish the Snowy Mountains, south coast rivers and on  a good day 20km off shore on the south coast.

Hope this adds to the confusion.  

Love my quinnie renegade 420sc with a 50 4st yammie I don't like getting into the etec vs everything else debate Two pieces of advice when choosing an outboard see what the pros are using and ask the marine rescue what they have to rescue the most

Thanks heaps for the advice. I am hoping to get something with a high transform/motorwell to stop any swell coming in from the back of the boat. I will have a look at the stacer and see what price I can get with the high motorwell upgrade. Don't necessarily need anything bigger as I will probably take it out myself a bit. 

Hi Phil

I owned a Quintrex Renegade 460 Side Console with a 75hp etec. It was great and handled really well a dry ride and very stable. If your using it predominantly inside the estuary and rivers you will be impressed. I think the top ender will have a similar ride.

When it comes to outboards mate dont get distracted with the dinosaur advice some of the older fishos cant get their head wrapped around the new technology and reliability of the new two strokes but my advice to you is to select an outboard that best suits your boat and provides you with the best performance you can get from your hull whether that be 2st or 4st

Good luck ! 

9 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Love my quinnie renegade 420sc with a 50 4st yammie I don't like getting into the etec vs everything else debate Two pieces of advice when choosing an outboard see what the pros are using and ask the marine rescue what they have to rescue the most

Most common rescue is yamaha engines.....................but probably because every man and his dog has them!  

Phil,

Another one to consider is Trailcraft Profish.

I had a 540 with 115 4st Yammie. Great boat and should not be discounted in your research. At the time of purchase I also looked at the Tabs Territory Pro. Ultimately it came down to $$ and I choose the Trailcraft.

Very stable boat. Only sold it as i was getting into game fishing and it wasn't suitable.

Cheers

22 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Hi Phil

I owned a Quintrex Renegade 460 Side Console with a 75hp etec. It was great and handled really well a dry ride and very stable. If your using it predominantly inside the estuary and rivers you will be impressed. I think the top ender will have a similar ride.

When it comes to outboards mate dont get distracted with the dinosaur advice some of the older fishos cant get their head wrapped around the new technology and reliability of the new two strokes but my advice to you is to select an outboard that best suits your boat and provides you with the best performance you can get from your hull whether that be 2st or 4st

Good luck ! 

dinosaur advice some of the older fishos cant get their head wrapped around the new technology and reliability of the new two strokes

Really!! Considering the new technology for two strokes has been around for at least twenty years and four stroke technology is going ahead as well

6 hours ago, The Iceman said:

dinosaur advice some of the older fishos cant get their head wrapped around the new technology and reliability of the new two strokes

Really!! Considering the new technology for two strokes has been around for at least twenty years and four stroke technology is going ahead as well

Mate the fact that you beleive two stroke technology has been the same for the last 20 years proves my exact point ?. 

20 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Mate the fact that you beleive two stroke technology has been the same for the last 20 years proves my exact point ?. 

Geez how old are you then?

I think the more senior fishos on here are very knowledgeable and give advice freely. 

Lets keep the debate helpful and not call older folk “dinosaurs”

The OP is asking about specific boats not an argument about Etecs vs blah blah

Back to business ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/03/2018 at 6:54 AM, phill81 said:

Thanks heaps for the advice. I am hoping to get something with a high transform/motorwell to stop any swell coming in from the back of the boat. I will have a look at the stacer and see what price I can get with the high motorwell upgrade. Don't necessarily need anything bigger as I will probably take it out myself a bit. 

I didn’t know there was a higher motor well option. Fishing in a side console, you won’t be backing down on marlin much. You can chase them. When I do get a little water over the back, the well handles it fine.

5 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Didn't say the same it like any other technology has evolved both 2 stroke and 4 stroke outboards

On 04/03/2018 at 9:59 PM, The Iceman said:

In my experience we rarely get assists concerning newer engines of any make and when we do, it's generally unrelated to the engine itself (fuel/battery/kill switch, etc). All of the late model engines are very well sorted nowadays. Very rarely if ever do I see assists of ETEC powered vessels, which is not bad considering they're probably the most common late model engines on Sydney waterways, usually on Quinnies and Stacers which are rigged with them from factory.

MRNSW use Suzuki outboards, but that's due to a supply deal with Suzuki, not necessarily because they're reliable. Water Police and Maritime around here run Mercurys (Verados) and Yamahas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, phill81 said:

While I do like the sea rod mob0103 one thing I do like about the new quintrex trailers is the catch and release system. Would make it a lot easier when out by myself. 

Ooh, I like that! Wonder if I can retro fit it to my Stacer trailer? ? That would make life easier... then to solve the problem of my boat beaching itself while I go and get the car... like happened yesterday!