Cork handles on rods - any maintenance needed?

seasponge

I bought a Shimano Raider last August. Last week, I went to tighten the handle down on the reel seat and the cork on the top handle split and came loose. I wouldn't have said I was using excessive force when I tighten. Luckily I was able to get the rod exchanged for a new one, no questions asked.

Anyway, my question is, are there any maintenance requirements for cork handles to protect them for their long term use? 

I don't think so. I have had my Raider Finesse bream for about 10 years and my Raider Snapper for about 8 years. Both are fished weekly and are still in pretty good condition but they have darkened with frequent use.

The cork seems pretty robust and It may be that the natural oils in the hand add to the protection.

The only two things I would warn people about when buying Raider rods are:

1. Careful of the cork when screwing the seat down (you have already worked this out).

2. There can be some slippage between the two halves which becomes noticeable during frequent casting. My snapper rod does it the others don't (I own about 7 plus Raiders including the travel ones). Make sure you lock them in place pretty well. In the case of my Snapper rod I rubbed some wax on the tip of the lower half to assist with the friction lock and then I redo the wax when it starts playing up again.

Edited by DerekD

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

It might just be me, but if I'm using bait I'll give them a good wash after use. I hate  rod handles smelling like old prawns

Bait???  What is that??? My rod handles have gone all sparkly from the glitter scales which comes off the soft plastics and onto my hands and onto the cork.

Very pretty!! :D

I overheard two guys talking in a fishing shop "I wonder what fish ate before people invented soft plastics". That comment still puts a smile on my face.

Edited by DerekD
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

You can give cork grips a light sand and coat of lacquer.

+1, I've been using Wattyl Estapol on my cork handles for years. 1 coat is all you want as it seeps into the cork sealing but not coating it, so your grips stay clean but don't become slippery. Some of my lure casting rods would be near 20 years old and their grips still look like new. 

I know some guys use bees wax or a timber sealer/preserver. Others use nothing but clean their cork with metho and a soft scrubbing brush.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

+1, I've been using Wattyl Estapol on my cork handles for years. 1 coat is all you want as it seeps into the cork sealing but not coating it, so your grips stay clean but don't become slippery. Some of my lure casting rods would be near 20 years old and their grips still look like new. 

I know some guys use bees wax or a timber sealer/preserver. Others use nothing but clean their cork with metho and a soft scrubbing brush.

Yeah, I’ve never found them to be slippery with a coat of lacquer. Most of my grips are hypalon but I find cork grips heaps easier to clean!

• 2 months later...

Give them a light sand to get rid of any discolouration and apply u40. 

I was looking into this a while back but then decided i did not like cork handles or the reel seatand went for eva grips and new reel seat

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just wanted to weigh in on the subject.

I've been using Lanolin grease for years and it works a treat.

It seals, protects, and makes cleaning a breeze after a fishing trip.

It's also non-toxic, unlike most of the cork sealing products, and doesn't change the feel of the cork.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PM79 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just wanted to weigh in on the subject.

I've been using Lanolin grease for years and it works a treat.

It seals, protects, and makes cleaning a breeze after a fishing trip.

It's also non-toxic, unlike most of the cork sealing products, and doesn't change the feel of the cork.

It’s not slippery?