How to anchor off land and retrieve boat from shore.

campr

I have posted this elsewhere in a feed but thought it more appropriate here.

I used to camp on a river with big tide variances which meant I had to anchor overnight with boat way off the bank or wake to possibly have it high and dry.  Also good for anchoring off beach while onshore.  I have seen photos of boats anchored in tropical lagoons using the same method.  Bit hard to explain what I did but here goes.

• Get a large stainless ring about 2 or 3inch diameter at least and attach this to end of anchor chain on large anchor.
  • Run end of LONG rope through ring and attach end to front bollard.
  • Drive boat a fair bit wider than you want boat to sit.
  • Feed out rope and lower anchor to bottom and slowly back up to beach feeding anchor line out as you go.  You will have doubled rope out front and can feel it feeding through the ring as you go.
  • Go a short way, pull on both doubled ropes to ensure chain straight and anchor is set in bottom. 
  • When you get out on beach you have 2 options.  If rope is long enough pull it all out of boat and attach end to rear bollard, or alternatively you can attach another rope to bollard.
  • You now have 2 ropes on beach.
  • Now pull boat out with 1st rope that is running through ring feeding out rope from rear bollard rope  as you pull other rope in.
  • Boat moves out to where you want it.  Make sure you don't go too far as anchor may lift if your too far on top of anchor.
  • Now tie off both ropes on shore to tree, another anchor, post etc.
  • To get boat back to shore you pull in rear rope letting bow rope feed out.

The 1st rope can also run from stern if you want boat pointed the other way but unless you have a strong offshore wind you mostly want bow pointed out from land. 

Hope this helps.   Ron

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...