SECRET railway dams of GOSFORD

JA1990

The subject of the Narara dams has been bought up many times on this forum. I have been 'uhmming' and 'ahrrring' to go there for a while now. I have finally had the opportunity to go down and lucky it was a wet day as it looked very snakey. I reckon plenty of funnel webs if I looked hard enough.

A question many ask is do you need to cut through private property to get there. Long story short is No. It was a 5 minute walk from the road at Reeves st. 

Once getting into the valley you will come across the upper dam, very spectacular. Be very careful walking on the wall. The lower railway dam is located about 100 meters down stream. It is also a stunning sight. It is said there is bass how ever I didn't go at the right bass time. Sunset or sunrise in my books. It was not swimming weather how ever it was a pleasure to get down there. 

The hike back up was a little ordinary as we ended up going up the long way for some reason. Remember to mark your track.

I highly encourage people to visit how ever as always minimal impact is the key. Don't do dumb things and if you hurt your self, take responsibility for your own actions.

I have put together a small video for you to witness. I sure hope you enjoy it.

JA

• Like 4

Great video JA

We used to go up there as kids walking up from Reeves st Narara. Once a few of us got licences we drove in from Somersby end.(dirt road and no houses back then). Plenty of Red belly blacks along the creek edges. Never thought about fishing for bass only ever went up for a swim. Brings back some good memories thanks.

Tim

3 hours ago, Squid Inc said:

Has there ever been any stocking of bass in there? 

Both dams were stocked with bass between 2000 and 2002.

The upstream dam with 2000 fish and the downstream with almost 3000.

I can't tell you if they have been restocked after 2005.