Black Smith's Beach Fishing

Lucky Thirteen

Hey guys,

For many years I have been looking up the raider for reports and endless amounts of information helping me with my fishing.

About time I start sharing my fishing experiences with all my fellow fisherman.

It brings me joy and peace to be able to walk up to any fisherman up here on the coast and have a yarn about the pass time we call fishing.

This brings me to one of many good luck runs I have had on the beaches of Stockton and Black Smiths and Brisbane Waters.

Decided to go for a mid week session at Black smiths last Wednesday. Bought my annual permit at the Star mart in Swansea and headed for the night.

Arrived at 6pm with just enough time to scout out the best gutters, rips, sand bars and also where there was least amount of blue bottles and sea weed.

Pretty windy heading from north east with cloud rolling in. . The pressure was stable at 1023 through out the day as I was monitoring the weather system on my computer at work. 

Marked a couple of waypoints on my GPS heading north from Awabakal Ave, as I.m driving on the beach I come across a deep dark rip going out to see with sand bars either side of it. The gutters leading up to the rip looked deep and this was on low tide so later that system would fill up and create deeper systems hopefully holding some big fish.

Set up camp, fixed the rod holders baited up and now the waiting game. I used three rods either side of the rip and one bang in the centre.

Mid night came and I was feeling defeated as knowing I was going to work the next day with little sleep I kept at it knowing something will hit as the conditions were perfect and the moon just starting to crest over the horizon When suddenly the rod keeled over and shaking, it stopped and started taking line. Rod showed all characteristics of a Mulloway going for a run, so I let it run knowing I've got plenty of line. Fish slowed down and I started reeling it in with sporadic runs I decided to not do up the drag. Been busted of in the past so I learnt from that mistake. Fish kept taking line and was heading south so I walked it down the gutter waiting for it to tire. Did up the drag a little and started timing the waves to bring it closer. Finally the last wave pushed it up on the shore as I pulled it in. You Beauty! A Mulloway of decent size measuring 90 cm, looked healthy and fat probably from the summer spoils of bait.

Decided to keep it and try for another. With a little luck I landed a Bull Shark measuring 125 cm at 2.30am and a 45cm tailor to finish the night off.

In my swag for some shut eye ready for another day.

Cheers guys.

Resized_20180307_223151_9800.jpeg

Resized_20180308_013319_7987.jpeg

• Like 7

Do you guys ever use bite alarms at night so you can nap between fish? I've seen carp fisherman do it but haven't seen it on the beach before. It just dawned on me thinking about the dilemma of knowing the fish are there now and work is coming in the morning. Dilemma solved?

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, sam bros said:

Great read mate, what did you use for bait?

Also is that a bull shark or whaler? I struggle to tell the difference some times

Gday Sam Bros,

Thanks mate!

The more I look at it the more it looks like a Whaler. The snout looks more sharper on the Whaler compared to a broader thicker head on the bull shark. 

Whole Hawkesbury squid was used approx 20cm long accompanied with plenty of burly. Was using butterflied mullet approx 30cm long at first with no success and then squid with a better result.