Port Hacking Snapper

Yowie

Headed up South West Arm for something different, and to escape the wind. Plenty of little reddies about, plus a few yakkas for bait.

Threw a squid jig towards the shore for the squid. 2 of them hooked themselves when the jig sat on the bottom while I was attending to another line, they both picked up the jig, swam off and hooked up.

Put out 1 small live yakka, but it was chewed off. Fray marks on the line, so probably a tailor. The 2nd yakka did not attract anything.

Pillies and squid strips no good, but fillets of the yakkas  proved better.

The reddie in the photo grabbed a fillet from a large yakka, then took off when hooked. Put up a good fight on a handline and snagged me under a rock. I could not budge it so let the pressure off the line and it swam free about a minute later. I did not put much pressure on the line, thinking the line was frayed which it was, and expected to see the silver colour of a nice jew swim up to the boat, but it was red instead.

Also caught a just legal reddie and just legal bream earlier on, but they didn't deserve to be in the photo.  :Dfish.jpeg_138.thumb.png.87c678d768359fe06dd632160e80243b.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Fodzii said:

Any tips on catching squid in the port hacking area. Tempted to go there or kurnell tomorrow.

These are the first squid I have caught in the Hacking this year. They have been very scarce.

11 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice snapper yowie! A few more fillets than those little reddies! Enjoy mate! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Cooked up a fillet last night, with a lime sauce. It was very nice, a chunky fillet compared to a pannie.

19 hours ago, wchh said:

Isn't snapper of that size lives offshore only? 

This must be a surprise even to you! Anyway, another encouraging story from Yowie as always!

The occasional snapper have been caught up river, but they are not too common.

59 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Wow. Great work

You really are the fish whisperer. That is a very respectable fish for so far up the river. Bet she tasted great.

Delicious, better flavour than a pannie.