Tropical around the wharf pylons

Volitan

Not really about fishing, just interesting I hope to people who love fish (and maybe people with aquaria).

Yesterday I went down to a nearby wharf which is on Brisbane Water. As usual, I stared down the pylons to see if their were any fish around. There were a couple of colourful little scraps that caught my eye. I laid down and looked close - turned out to be a tiny auriga butterflyfish and a domino damsel having a territorial dispute. I checked the other pylons for any other juvenile tropicals and saw a vagabond butterflyfish, a black-backed butterflyfish, some Sargent majors, a red-tailed filefish, a yellow boxfish, a red wrasse which is not in Sea Fishes of Southern Australia so I guess is a northern species, and a tang which I think I know but I won’t be certain about till I get a better view.

This seems unusual. I haven’t heard that this years East Aus current is a particularly strong one but maybe it is. What are people catching. Are amberjack or spotted mackerel around in any numbers this year. Northern bluefin maybe?

i also saw a tiny green turtle - dead on the shore - at Bateau Bay. Hatchling size. Where could that have come from.

any other observations anyone

cheers

arron