Weipa Lures Advice

Ledge

OK raiders. I need your collective knowledge to stock up before a trip to Weipa next month.

We’ll be doing all sorts of fishing from boats... rivers, reefs and out wider. Lots of casting around pylons and under bridges and markers etc.

I need to stock up on lures for the trip. And especially good value lures (that work) since I expect we’ll be losing a fair few.

I know plastics are a good option due to their value, but I know next to nothing about plastics... no idea what brand, type, jig size etc.. Any experts that can point me in the right direction?

I’m experienced in metals, hardbodies and poppers but does anyone know what works best in Weipa? And what sizes?

I’ll be taking 3 spinning combos... 80lb, 50lb and 20lb.

Thanks team!

1 hour ago, Ledge said:

OK raiders. I need your collective knowledge to stock up before a trip to Weipa next month.

We’ll be doing all sorts of fishing from boats... rivers, reefs and out wider. Lots of casting around pylons and under bridges and markers etc.

I need to stock up on lures for the trip. And especially good value lures (that work) since I expect we’ll be losing a fair few.

I know plastics are a good option due to their value, but I know next to nothing about plastics... no idea what brand, type, jig size etc.. Any experts that can point me in the right direction?

I’m experienced in metals, hardbodies and poppers but does anyone know what works best in Weipa? And what sizes?

I’ll be taking 3 spinning combos... 80lb, 50lb and 20lb.

Thanks team!

I always take too much when I go up there! 4-5 inch white paddle & curly tail softies on a 1/4 jighead slow rolled over shallow reefs are awesome. Take some heavier jigheads for deeper fishing around the lead markers. Squidgy mongrels, zman's, etc. Gold bombers never fail & still catch a heap of fish. Jackal Transams for deeper, muddy bottoms. A variety of metals & slugs to throw at queenies & longtails. Some big rapalas & jetheads for trolling for spaniards, & some poppers & stickbaits for chasing GT's over the bommies.

That should cover most of it.

1 hour ago, Jewhunter said:

I always take too much when I go up there! 4-5 inch white paddle & curly tail softies on a 1/4 jighead slow rolled over shallow reefs are awesome. Take some heavier jigheads for deeper fishing around the lead markers. Squidgy mongrels, zman's, etc. Gold bombers never fail & still catch a heap of fish. Jackal Transams for deeper, muddy bottoms. A variety of metals & slugs to throw at queenies & longtails. Some big rapalas & jetheads for trolling for spaniards, & some poppers & stickbaits for chasing GT's over the bommies.

That should cover most of it.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. What size metals do you recommend?

9 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

3, 4 & 5 inch. 50-100gm. Raiders, the old half x quarters & bumper bar's are the go.

Are you on the houseboat with tenders, or doing your own thing?

Good stuff, thanks. We’re on the houseboat with tenders. 10 of us so it’s going to be tight!

30 minutes ago, Ledge said:

Good stuff, thanks. We’re on the houseboat with tenders. 10 of us so it’s going to be tight!

It will be tight! I hope you've got the Tillytoo! No doubt a few of you will drag the mattresses to get away from the snorers! You'll definitely need 3 tenders. It's as many as you can safely tow anyway. If you want any tips on where to go, spots, etc shoot me a pm. Also, use the search function at the top of the page & type in Weipa. There's plenty of posts on the place. Stewy did a top report of our last trip up there. Heaps of good info in all those posts.