quick bass session

The bit of rain we've had and some sudden warm weather got me and my mate fired up for another bass session. The water looked better than last time with a bit of flow and a lot clearer. Fished a different launch point to last time but still the same river. Didn't take long before we had both hooked fish unfortunetly mine fell off beside the canoe probably about a 30cm fish.

We slogged up through the rapids and portage to the secluded pool upstream had a few casts on the way for a couple of miss hits from small fish.

The sun was still a bit high so concentrated casts on the shady edges, landing a perfect cast before I could even say "that deserves a fish" the rod was loaded up and reel screaming after some fancy rod work had him out in open water and a beauiful fish was in the net he only went 38cm but he was thick

20180312_151035.thumb.jpg.392d0f018dd83d05a1967f48242179bb.jpg

We kept working the shaded edges and the small fish started coming in 

20180312_152027.thumb.jpg.da29a180462083ed81d2cac437c3708a.jpg

a good sign of a healthy fishery

20180312_152034.thumb.jpg.e5edd0ec1f183c4315956b29855d9855.jpg

put a cast right up against a big submerged log working the lure along the side and sure enough the hit and run was insane the fish had me run under the log to god knows where before I could even blink went as hard as I could and managed to turn him only to pull the hooks disapointed but thats bass fishing "go hard or your favourite lure doesn't come home"

it went a bit quiet so switched to the zman grub just flicking it around shady structure and after a few miss hits came up solid on a beast which was no bass but a monster eel luckily he chewed me off before he wrapped me up in the timber 

then on a cast in about a foot of water had a very subtle take thinking small I loaded up for all hell to break loose the fish ran me all over the place and finally a reasonable fish surfaced this one measuring 37cm again thick across the shoulders 

20180312_154150.thumb.jpg.124b14da8af69d03cb3f280abd923560.jpg

and that was it the fish just stopped chewing still a fun little session

cheers for reading

Dave

• Like 1

Great report, that's bass fishing and that's the beauty of having a large keep tank on the boat, I have a thought that when you release a bass it sends vibes through the area and make the other fish nervous and put them off the bite, with a kill tank you can keep them till end of session then release them, problem with that is if you get stopped with undersize fish in possession you are in trouble and the authorities won't listen to your explanation.

Frank

Its been a strange season, low water levels have made fishing tough. On the positive side most of the waterways I've fished have lots of fish at all sizes, great to see. 37s and 38s aren't anything to scoff at, nice fish. Looks like nice water up there. Do you catch many on the surface?

Matt

7 hours ago, macman said:

Its been a strange season, low water levels have made fishing tough. On the positive side most of the waterways I've fished have lots of fish at all sizes, great to see. 37s and 38s aren't anything to scoff at, nice fish. Looks like nice water up there. Do you catch many on the surface?

Matt

surface is usually excellent especially around dusk, has been pretty ordinary this season I think because the water has been really low and almost hot causing low oxygen

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, frankS said:

Great report, that's bass fishing and that's the beauty of having a large keep tank on the boat, I have a thought that when you release a bass it sends vibes through the area and make the other fish nervous and put them off the bite, with a kill tank you can keep them till end of session then release them, problem with that is if you get stopped with undersize fish in possession you are in trouble and the authorities won't listen to your explanation.

Frank

they don't seem to spook each other as much in the creeks because the fish seem to be more spread out rather than schooled up like in the dams.. bass do have an annoying habit of deciding to suddenly stop biting

16 hours ago, Rah said:

Great report mate. 37's and 38's aint bad.

I'm hanging to try out some new local spots, just need to find a good access point. 

Cheers

Rah 

google earth is how I found that spot and many others.... devote my spare time on night shift trawling google earth

15 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Nice bassin’! I haven’t been bass fishing for ages! I need to fix that!

in the 2nd photo, does that bass have some scarring near the dorsal fin, or perhaps an ulcer?

they often get a ulcer like growth on their fins especially when the water quality is poor which it was until a week before the fish was caught  

any time you want to come up my way Baz always keen for a bass session

Edited by dirvin21
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...