Is this a good first boat?

Daniel7

Hey Guys,

I am looking at purchasing my first boat. I was wanting to spend as little as possible (I plan on upgrading in a year or two once I have the hang of it). I want it for fishing with a couple of mates or even alone and was thinking something like this: 

https://jvmarineworldbraeside.boatsales.com.au/vehicle/OAG-AD-14374755?orderBy=&hideSearch=&dealer=AG-SELLER-1295&siloType=&make=HAINES%2BHUNTER&metreMin=&metreMax=&feetMin=&feetMax=&yearMin=&yearMax=&priceMin=&priceMax=

I was just hoping to get some opinions on whether this would be a goods choice for a first boat or not? I don't understand a lot about boats or the engines but am reading and learning daily so would appreciate any input or advice. 

Thanks,

Daniel

Looks too good to be true.  If you dont know much about boats id take someone who does to look over it.  Thats very cheap for what you get.  Looks good hopefully nothing wrong with it!

Awesome thanks for the feedback guys I really appreciate it! I will get a pre purchase inspection but didn't want to waste my money on that if it wasn't a good first boat.

In regards to launching a boat do you need a 4x4? I have a FPV GT so it has the power but only a 2wd and concerned about launching a boat with it.

Thanks again!

Edited by Daniel7
Added another question.

You could not go wrong with that boat, it looks too good to be true with all the gear you would want except maybe  a bow mount lecky and down rigger, would be great for PPB and Jv are one of Melbourne's top dealers, so I would say go for it.

As for the tow vehicle, I don't know what a  FPV GT is so can't advise, many of the vic ramps are 2wd friendly, Curum is OK but the GT part has me a bit worried, may be too low to the ground and you may have the exhaust in the water, which is a  NO NO.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Thanks again for the response! My cars not really low but still not sure hahaha!

Also would the boat be just ok in the bay or would it be ok in the ocean as well? I don’t plan on going out in chop but just curious that’s all.

Thanks! 

mate they handle so well! The boat itself would be fine offshore! I would  be more than happy to run offshore in that hull however I have always had boats. A lot of the time it’s the ability of the driver that is the biggest issue. But you’ll work up to venturing outside eventually.

Im looking at a v16r and the bigger brother v17r. If you don’t snap it up I will! Haha

Perfect! I'm planning on focusing on Port Phillip for a while before I venture out but just wanted to check how capable it was.

Thanks for the response and if I don't buy it when I go down on Thursday I'll let you know hahaha.

• Thanks 1

Theres one about the same money thats like a new boat in my local area (came up on buy swap sell), looks to of been very well looked after.

They are great little boats, my only concern in the ones Ive been in was the weight of the engine with two plastic fuel tanks at the back meant a fair amount of water comes over the back if you slow down to quickly. My neighbour placed a bigger tank up under the front but the constant smell from the tank breather had everyone feeling sick from fumes.

As a project boat they are very popular among spear fishermen as the boats are fast and handle rough conditions very well. Check out where the fuel is kept (under floor or in tanks) and be mind-full even two 25lt tanks isn't a huge amount fuel if you plan big days with that two stroke.

Also that dealership seem to have a good reputation, I doubt they would try and pull the wool over your eyes if it did have a dodgy transom. A dodgy transom isn't the end of the world, it often means you buy a boat at a very good price that you can have rebuilt how you want it (big fuel tank under floor etc).

Edited by JonD

Had a quick look and to be honest none of those grabbed my interest like the Haines did. Have you looked on boatsales or your local buy swap sell sites through facebook. I travel just about anywhere for the right boat, my advice is not to rush in as boats often come on the market after people realise just how little some get used through summer.

This doesn't look to bad https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1993-Caribbean-COMET/SSE-AD-5197406/?cr=1&psq=(((((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26Price%3Drange[5000..15000])%26BoatType%3D[Power])%26State%3D[Victoria])%26Make%3D[Caribbean])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=0&pss=Premium

Edited by JonD

34 minutes ago, Daniel7 said:

Thank I appreciate your honesty! 

Just so I can learn may I ask why the Haines was better than all the rest? I really appreciate your input thanks for taking the time to look at them!

Haines have been about for many years in which time have built a huge reputation as a  good boat, have a look into the history of Haines boats. They were so good many boats under new names have come from those same molds with slight adjustments, Seadevil boats, Eden craft, Cootacraft, Seydel craft, Formula. Many of these boats built from those boats were built for the commercial fishing industry such as abalone, urchin and set line fishing. It all bacicly comes down to the way these boats handle when the water turns bad and for that reason they still have a loyal following.

There are plenty of other boats with such reputations such as Cruise craft, Seafarer etc. I once owned a little Haines sea wasp, a boat bellow 4m that handled extremely well to the point I regularly took it out the the shelf 20km offshore from my launch site. The boats you have posted are getting on a bit and so are the engines, a replacement outboard is very costly so be carful in buying something that spares are still available for. 

I just checked and the little Haines in Bermagui is still for sale, if you are interested you would need to become a member to view the boat ( might be worth enquiring about) Narooma Buy swap & sell.

Edited by JonD

Hey guys those previous ones have sold already. Would love some input on these if possible please:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/44518002590017

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/399218820506637

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/554057611625932

More photos of the Haines Hunter:

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1986-Haines-Hunter-16R/SSE-AD-5271001/

Would love to get your thoughts! 

Second hand is always a gamble, especially in this price bracket. But not all boats are lemons. I saw you will get an inspection. 

In my opinion, Victorian boat prices are generally higher than Sydney or Brisbane prices. But the Vic boats appear less used and in better condition .

Just to confuse you, here’s a couple more examples. These are a tad smaller. I know you have the 2 big open bays which can get quite choppy. I don’t have a real appreciation for how you Victorians fish. Travel Distance to spots and gap between spot, are there rivers to fish etc etc. The open centre console may not suit the cooler climate. No problems towing these behind the Falcon.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rosebud/tinnies-dinghies/stacer-centre-console-/1177071334?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-albans/other-boats-jet-skis/streaker-fishing-boat-/1177308897?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

cheers

Rod

No, not just looking at fibreglass I'd definitely look at aluminium too. 

This might be a stupid question but is there a reason you'd lean towards the aluminium over the fully re done fibreglass for a similar price?

1 hour ago, Daniel7 said:

No, not just looking at fibreglass I'd definitely look at aluminium too. 

This might be a stupid question but is there a reason you'd lean towards the aluminium over the fully re done fibreglass for a similar price?

All personal preference, lots of people don't like how aluminium rides. I prefer aluminum because it is easier and cheaper to repair, lighter to tow.

1 hour ago, lyons90 said:

All personal preference, lots of people don't like how aluminium rides. I prefer aluminum because it is easier and cheaper to repair, lighter to tow.

I know aluminium is supposed to be a harder ride than glass but the modern hulls have more weight than the boats of the 70s and 80s and I find my Stacer Evo hull handles pretty tough conditions well. I chose my username”Berleyguts” for a reason... and if I recall rightly, whenever I used to get seasick (and I used to get seasick really bad), it always seemed to be in glass boats, not tinnies. Maybe they ride/sit differently in the water?