Is this a good first boat?

Daniel7

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

I know aluminium is supposed to be a harder ride than glass but the modern hulls have more weight than the boats of the 70s and 80s and I find my Stacer Evo hull handles pretty tough conditions well. I chose my username”Berleyguts” for a reason... and if I recall rightly, whenever I used to get seasick (and I used to get seasick really bad), it always seemed to be in glass boats, not tinnies. Maybe they ride/sit differently in the water?

Modern aluminium is a load better apparently, I still get sick, occasionally, on any hull if not actively distracting myself :)

The older 2 strokes also don't help with the stomach.

• Like 1

OK guys so I went to see this boat today with a mate: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/166564287319639

He said the hull and transform are solid the motor looks good but its been sitting in the weather for over a year so looks really filthy (which is fine I don't mind cleaning) but because of this we couldn't test anything. Will a pre purchase inspection take a battery to hook up and check the electrics as they looked a bit iffy. Otherwise it looked good just needs a really really good clean, service and safety gear. He has said he will take $4,9000. 

Even if it needs TLC and some money spent on a service and a few bits, the Haines 490 looks good for $4900 if it inspects OK. It’s my pick from all the links you've posted. The hull and motor seem a fair bit newer than the others.

Your boat inspector should be able to take a battery pack to test motor and electrics as long as you let them know before hand.

A rig of that weight is likely to need trailer brakes. I think I can see brake cables in those photos, so that’s a plus (as long as they work). Estimate towing weight maybe around 1000kg, perhaps a bit less. Check your taxi’s Tow bar rating. 

Don’t think I’ve ever seen them in factory black, so Its probably been repainted.

115hp is plenty of power. I have a year 2000 version of the same model Mercury on my boat and it’s proven a good motor over the 12 years / 500 hours I’ve owned it.

cheers, Rod

11 hours ago, Daniel7 said:

OK guys so I went to see this boat today with a mate: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/166564287319639

He said the hull and transform are solid the motor looks good but its been sitting in the weather for over a year so looks really filthy (which is fine I don't mind cleaning) but because of this we couldn't test anything. Will a pre purchase inspection take a battery to hook up and check the electrics as they looked a bit iffy. Otherwise it looked good just needs a really really good clean, service and safety gear. He has said he will take $4,9000. 

Certainly looks very tidy for the price. hopefully the inspector doesn't find any issues!

What is the $2000 of work he is saying needs to be done?

Thanks guys!

The work required is a service, all new safety equipment, new seats as they're torn and wrecked, new cushions for the cabin as they're ruined, new carpet and new batteries. The electrical doesn't concern me too much as my best mate is an electrician and can do it all for free for me but I still want it checked though to make sure there's nothing major. It's really just dirty as it's sat in the weather for over a year but I don't mind giving it a good clean.   

• Like 1

So I called the pre purchase guy and he had a look at it online and said it is ridiculously cheap. He said the motor alone is worth $3000-$4000 depending on condition. He said honestly it's not worth him going to have a look at it because even if I spend $1,500 on a service to get it up and running it's still a great buy. He said he wouldn't worry if he was me he would just buy it and save the couple of hundred dollars and get it.  

My tips

1. Lift the leg of the outboard and shake while someone is in the boat looking for movement or cracks.

2. tow the boat to a ramp and let it sit in the water and look for water leaks

3. While in the water install fresh battery and fuel and see if you can get the engine to fire up, give the spark plugs a clean and if carby take a can of Start you bastard.

4. With the boat tied up, check over the trailer for rust, lights, stuck rollers, brakes and bear issues

If your happy after that, then purchase and tow it straight home, clean it out, then onto mechanic and get it serviced and have a great time.

Edited by jeffb5.8

On 13/03/2018 at 9:51 AM, Daniel7 said:

Thanks again for the response! My cars not really low but still not sure hahaha!

Also would the boat be just ok in the bay or would it be ok in the ocean as well? I don’t plan on going out in chop but just curious that’s all.

Thanks! 

Hi Daniel 

No worries launching with the FPV GT I have a 1993 EBGT and have on occasion used it to launch, just don't jab the loud pedal too much.

Haines are a great boat and as the other guys have said looks A1 for the price, and as for a first boat, a lot of guys would be happy with that as a 4th or 5th boat, just get it checked out by someone who knows boats before you spend your hard earned on it.

MSB

Hey guys,

Quick update, I had another mate who knows a lot about boats check it with a battery and fuel and fired up pretty damn quick. He was more than happy with it especially for $4,500 so I grabbed it and it's now in my driveway ready for a clean!

Just wanted to thank everyone for your input and advice it was a huge help!

Thanks! 

• Like 3

On 17/03/2018 at 4:43 PM, Daniel7 said:

Hey guys,

Quick update, I had another mate who knows a lot about boats check it with a battery and fuel and fired up pretty damn quick. He was more than happy with it especially for $4,500 so I grabbed it and it's now in my driveway ready for a clean!

Just wanted to thank everyone for your input and advice it was a huge help!

Thanks! 

Well done mate enjoy. 

Congratulations, apologies for not getting back to you over the last few days (old neck injuries have had me down with a 5 day migraine).

looking forward to hearing and seeing a few pics now you have one.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...