Fly casting lessons/help

G’day guys. I’ve taken the long wand out the past couple of sessions and I’m getting addicted! Getting my PB Estuary Perch (40cm fork) last Sat morning on fly, and on a homemade popper, really got the bug to bite. 

Is there anyone in the Cronulla area that could help me out with a few lessons, or just help with some bad habits that I’ve probably learnt by teaching myself? I can throw line ok, but I think I do need some pointers to help me get better. Being in the kayak, sitting so low in the water doesn’t help too much either....If anyone is willing to help me out, feel free to get in touch! 

Heres a pic of my PB, and the popper that tempted her to bite! 

Cheers, 

Adam.

4635F95E-87A7-4BAB-B612-F9339FC59B40.jpeg

Edited by Bass assassin
  • Like 2

If your looking for a good technique you can watch some of John Wilsons fishing videos, hands down one of the best fly fisherman there is , wet or dry flies his technique is so accurate , best to learn a good side cast if fishing from the yak id think, what size rod are you running? I grew up fly fishing small rivers and lakes and most of the time a side cast is necessary due to trees/snags etc :)

I’ll definitely check out John Wilson, I’ll have a look online for some vids. I have one of Lefty Kreh’s dvds at home, I’ll have to re-watch that also. I was actually trying some side casting the other day, felt really awkward, but I’ll stick with it. Watching videos is a good start, but I’d really like someone to actually watch me and tell me my problems and show me how to fix them. The rod I’m using is a 6w Penn XDS. I also have another (cheap fly kit) rod, but that just feels like a wet noodle. 

Thanks for the tips mate, much appreciated!! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I’m in the same boat as you Adam. Its one step backwards one forwards at the moment!

I’ve watched Lefty’s latest one recently (downloaded it from Epic Fly Fishing - they have some good resources). He’s a great caster but has a very unique style. I have found it hard to imitate. Something about the side arm action.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 2:30 PM, papasmurf said:

I'm at Heathcote and President of a fly fishing club. I can help you out.......

Hi mate, I’ve only just seen this. Thanks for the reply. I’ll be in touch after the silly season and we’ll see if we can organize something. 

Cheers, 

Adam. 

On 12/25/2021 at 6:50 AM, big Neil said:

That's a fabulous EP Adam and on your own concoction too. Top result. I'll look forward to following your progress as you improve your technique. Cheers, bn

Thanks mate! I’ve cracked that PB now though. Wasn’t on fly, unfortunately😔

Most times I’m out in the yak, I’ll have the fly with me. I think I can cast quite well these days, but would still like to work on a few things. A decent Bream and Whiting are this years targets. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hey Fishraiders, 

I've organised to fly casting clinic with Peter Morse for my fly fishing club and I've got 3 spots to fill. This has only been for the club members and I branched out to our Facebook page and now on here to fill remaining spots before advertising elsewhere.

All details are in this chat area in a new topic. Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers Ben