Any crabbing tips for a newbie?

Fishing TT

Hi fellow raiders

Went to a shop the other day to buy 4 new crab traps to try out in Botany Bay. I've never caught a crab on a line or used a crab trap so I'm a complete newbie at this.

Planning to take out 2 traps using old fish in an old onion bag as bait. (Only taking 2 as I've read people steal them if you don't keep an eye on them :( )

Would love to get some expert tips around best bait, best time to go crabbing and how long I should soak the trap!  Any tips would be awesome!

I know asking for location is a hard ask but if anyone can share a good place in Botany to try out the traps that would be awesome. PM me if you want to keep it quiet - i promise not to share. ;)

The only crabbing knowledge I have is from watching 'The deadliest catch' so i would think crabbing in Botany would be much easier!  haha 

Thank you guys in advance!

I used to catch blue swimmers in Botany all the time on hand lines as a kid. Towra was probably the best area. Not sure if there’s any restrictions these days, though. Bait? Anything smelly really. Mullet. Any fish frames. I always keep a few frames in crabbing season. Beef hearts work too. ?

Edited by Berleyguts

Honestly the crabs will find it even if it's not that smelly, but it does help! If you're in the right spot they'll even strip livies off a hook. 

I'm not as sure about the habits of blues but the muddies where I live drift along with the current and tide. I find them most abundant in spots where there's tidal flow but it's a bit slower than the main flow. It's like they pull into the little slack areas like pit stops. There's one spot I can sit on the bank and net them by hand somewhat regularly because they park themselves in easy reach as they drift by.