Luderick troubleshooting

Kracka

G'day Raiders,

I was hoping to get some tips towards my blackfish fishing. I've read tonnes of articles and forums, watched a stack of videos and I also manage a few luderick when I'm up at The Enterance and Long Reef (thanks again KB for your help).

So today I fished at the south western end of the Spit (between the marina and the bridge) targetting blackies at both sides of the high tide.

Unfortunately, the water was crystal clear and only managed a few downs (no hook ups-and that's after numerous bait depth adjustments, using cabbage and string weed AND trying different bait presentations, using various rigs including leader colour - clear and olive 6lb mono). It is extremely frustrating when you can see a kilo fish eying your bait for a moment or two then knicking off.

The blackies were actively feeding in the weed bed (rolling around on their sides and chasing other fish around) in about 2-4m of water maximum I would say.

They seemed more interested in the bait when I swapped to smaller floats but even then no downs.

I have had this same issue at Forty Baskets in Balgowlah too (there's some seriously sized blackies there - water is again very clear most of the time both at high and low tide).

My rig is just your run of the mill luderick rig - smallish float and adjustable stopper, barrel sinker, then a tiny size 12/14 swivel, about 40-50cm of 6lb .22mm mono down to a size 8 mustad green hook. Split shots added as needed.

I was burleying every 10 mins with wet sand and finely chopped weed (cabbage and string) and bait (string and cabbage) was collected fresh from curly.

I have heard Clarkes Point is worth a shot but blackies seem to be abundant in the harbour especially where there's structure and kelp and weed beds. So naturally I am questioning my understanding of blackfishing and attributing most of my previous catches to luck.

Hopefully some fellow raiders can give some insight and tips.

*aplologies for the essay, figured as much info as possible will help*

Thanks Rick and blaxland. I'll give it a crack next time, it's a good idea.

I was getting worried that I'm getting worse at blackfishing rather than better ? good to know they're normally shy in clear water.

Thanks again

Guest Guest123456789

Mate you sound pretty dialed into blackfishing properly. I like fishing alone but luderick fishing I think is best done in pairs as one of you can be doing something so slightly different which can mean the difference between bagging out and a donut. 

The best day's fishing I've had for luderick was off the stones on the northern beaches, westerly wind, no swell and crystal clear water.

Sometimes they just aren't on the chew.

There's a brown weed I often find in them when cleaning and up here at The Entrance, a feller put me onto using the ribbon weed from the lake when it has some algae on it.

I've also caught them on prawns too.

Maybe be try no float and just a split shot about 30 to 40cm above the hook to get the bait down to where the fish are feeding.

Glad to hear you've been getting some fish.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Flatheadluke - I'll see if I can train up my Mrs (she usually out fishes me anyway lol)

KB - I've been wishing for a day like that as I am testing out all the tides and weather conditions that produce the best results at Longie. Unfortunately each outing I've managed to get out for a fish it has been 15 knot plus Eastern-bound winds and easterly direction cross swells...gets hairy out front but pussyfooting has been a fun and productive experience for a few solid bream and baby pigs all on weed and bread during a rising tide. I'll have to try the blackies on the falling tide around the butterbox next. Got a good take from a big blue grouper too on urchin out front but got reefed.

I tried the split shot and no float tactic for a few casts but no takes unfortunately. Maybe it was just sitting too deep in the weed. Still have lots to learn. And like you said, some days they're just not on the chew. With that in mind it keeps the spirits up a little at least ?

Mainframe & BurleyGuts - thanks give the clear bubble and quill floats a go next.

Guest Guest123456789
On 20/03/2018 at 2:47 PM, Ubuggas said:

Hi Don’t use a Float. All you have to do is put on a small split shot (or whatever weight you require) about 30cm from your baited hook, cast out let it sink slowly. Good Luck ?

Interesting tactic and advice...

Perhaps you are feeding them too much berley and the berley isn't attached to anything and easier to swallow , you say they are swimming around on their side and chasing other fish, perhaps they are feeling frisky and trying to mate, and as you know when you have that on your mind you tend to forget about eating. Persistance bears fruit so keep at it.

Frank