Hat Head ramp

JonD

I haven't been to Hat Head for many years and never launched from there. Has anyone gone out from there or know how bad the weather needs to get before you can get out, there's a handy video on YouTube but conditions looked pretty good with just like get NE winds.

The alternative is South West rocks but if I'm going to launch there I might as well stay there too but that can be a tricky long bar at times to work out through. The Gaol campground always seems to look ok but is blocked off during holiday periods ( due to the boat traffic through the camp I believe ).

hat head creek ramp is about 80mtrs up the creek from the mouth you then have to contend with a small beach break...sometimes slip out next to rocks sometimes  walk or drive a hundred mtrs down beach gutter..always different  half tide in is better up to top..low tide can be tricky..il be there second weekend in may..just have to wait an see...swr is next alternative...rick

• Like 1

Why not try the Back Creek ramp at SWR? The problem at Hat Head is there is precious little water depth. The Back Creek entrance is shallow but better (they use a crane and scoop to dredge it).

PS: Apparently they have upgraded the ocean ramp near Trial Bay Goal.

• Like 1

trial bay has limited parking and people get fined by rangers often...back creek can be seen on coastal surfcams..same deal shallow and breaks  have had to walk boat out numerous times....the bar isn't as bad as some say..but experience is helpful in reading conditions and where to aim for leaving the mouth of river..rick

The upgrade to the Trial Bay ramp includes extra parking. You can launch and retrieve a fairly sizeable boat ( up to 5.4m or so) from the Back Creek so long as the tide is at least half in or less than half out and you stick to the channel (best to study the entrance at low tide). It's way better than the Hat Head creek entrance.

• Like 1