Interesting Read For Anyone That Fishes Tuggerah Lakes

Hill373737

For any Raiders who fish Tuggerah Lakes, here's an interesting ( and long) article about the history of commercial fishing Tuggerah Lakes from the 1920's, prepared from the journals of a commercial fisherman.

http://www.clw.csiro.au/publications/technical98/tr1-98.pdf

It provides an intertesting insight over a long period to the relationship between weed in the lake, abundance of fish/prawns and the opening at the Channel - mention of 100lb mulloway and snapper in the lake in years gone by highlight the potential but wiith the Channel nearly closed at the moment, we could be in for a lean few years.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, raging said:

Good read, thanks for sharing 

The trek from the entrance to myal lakes would have been interesting in those boats.

The trip up to Myall lakes must have been crazy, you'd have to pick your weathert since it took them two days. Just getting out the Channel must have been interesting, its not like they had decent horsepower to accelerate between waves.

Thanks for the post & link, much appreciated.

The channel is still flowing well, I fished there this morning. Council has already moved pipes to both the north and south sides of the channel to facilitate dredging.

So hopefully winter will be fishy.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi

I had breakfast down The Entrance this morning, looked like about mid-tide - good flow but fairly shallow particularly compared to a couple of years back.

How did you go this morning -  I've been away overseas for a few weeks, planning to put the boat in tomorrow morning and see if the flatties are still around.

I think its a bit quiet at the moment, I picked up one 38cm flathead this morning, conditions weren't great with a gusty westerly blowing.

They were bringing the dredge across so hopefully they'll get started this week on opening the channel up and removing some of the sand east of the bridge.

I fish quite often in the Gorokan and Toukley part of the lakes and for the last 6 months the flathead have been well down on previous years . There has not been a lot of good rainfall in the last year . And I think that could be why the Entrance is so clogged up with sand . The lake system may benefit from a big rain event to open the channel and flush out the creeks as well.