New into Lure Fishing.

Rebel

Hi,

This might be a stupid question, but how do tie a line to lures. I am using soft plastics and metals.

I have been told to tie the leader straight on to the lure.

Shimano says use a small swivel and a split ring.

Can I use a coastlock with a swivel ? Or do I use a loop with a knot in it

Do I put a split ring on all the lures. Some lures have them and some don't.

Your help would be appreciated

For 99% of soft plastics I tie direct to the hook with a blood or uni knot. The only times I wouldn't is if plastic had some type of action that would benefit from a loop knot.

On my metals I attach a small, appropriate size swivel to the front split ring and tie to that with a blood or uni.

Almost all hardbodies will benefit from a loop knot or some kind of snap. Poppers would be the only exception of this I can think of.

I use a tiny swivel tied into my leader with a small Mustad Fastach or Norman Speed Clip attached. Tackle Tactics Fastlink clips are rated highly by a lot of fishos and there’s also Hawaiian clips that are similar to the Speed Clips. I rate them in this order: Mustad, TT, Norman, Hawaiian. 

It may be counterintuitive, but the smaller the swivel, the easier it spins. So use the smallest one with enough strength. For my 10kg line, I use a 20kg swivel, its tiny. Some packets show the break strain of the swivel, some will say what line class they suit. 

I would steer clear of coast lock, cross lock, egg snap, etc. They can all come undone easily if bitten by the fish, they're bulky so they snag easier, they're heavier so they affect the lure’s action more, and they leave room for user error if you don't clip them perfectly every time. 

I wouldn't use a split ring, and in fact, I remove the split rings from all my lures’ tow points if possible. Many times the factory split rings are rubbish anyway, so if I need to have one on the lure I like to replace them with ones I know are good quality. 

Edited by MainframeJames

On 3/29/2018 at 5:29 PM, Rebel said:

Thank you everybody. I will it give a go. So much different to putting bait on a hook.

Plenty of good information there mate. Let us all know how you go. Lure fishing CAN be exceptionally good, but equally very frustrating...so hang in and the results will come. bn

Depends on the teeth and gill rakers of the target species.

I use a loop knot on hardbodies or squid jigs where the weight of a coast lock would affect the action causing them to sit nose down.

Otherwise small coast locks are great for changing mid to large plastics quickly when necessary.

On the little plastics, uni knot or locked half blood straight to the jig.   Just my 2 cents worth....

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 8:27 AM, MainframeJames said:

I use a tiny swivel tied into my leader with a small Mustad Fastach or Norman Speed Clip attached. Tackle Tactics Fastlink clips are rated highly by a lot of fishos and there’s also Hawaiian clips that are similar to the Speed Clips. I rate them in this order: Mustad, TT, Norman, Hawaiian. 

It may be counterintuitive, but the smaller the swivel, the easier it spins. So use the smallest one with enough strength. For my 10kg line, I use a 20kg swivel, its tiny. Some packets show the break strain of the swivel, some will say what line class they suit. 

I would steer clear of coast lock, cross lock, egg snap, etc. They can all come undone easily if bitten by the fish, they're bulky so they snag easier, they're heavier so they affect the lure’s action more, and they leave room for user error if you don't clip them perfectly every time. 

I wouldn't use a split ring, and in fact, I remove the split rings from all my lures’ tow points if possible. Many times the factory split rings are rubbish anyway, so if I need to have one on the lure I like to replace them with ones I know are good quality. 

Hi Mainframejames,

What size in the fastech do you use for lures up to say 110mm?

I assume slightly bigger is better than too small. Bigger would ensure enough "loop" for the lure to swim properly?

Cheers,

Undy