How to cook a blue swimmer crab

Flattiefisher

Alrighty fishraiders yesterday I went crabbing and I got a huge blue swimmer crab. I've cleaned it out and split it in half like your meant to. I just want to know if anyone has some tasty recipes. By the way I don't want anything spicy.  Flattiefisher out.

I clean mine out after they're cooked, Probably why you see crabs cooked & whole? When I cook them whole I simply boil them in a pot of salty water. 8 mins for Blueys & 11 mins for muddies. Depending on size of course. Sorry, can't help you if halved already. Maybe simmered in a nice sauce for 15 mins??

• Thanks 1

I do mine the same as you in a way.

Remove the claws, remove the lid, split body in half and brush out all the guts etc.

Hit the claws with the back of a knife to crack so the flavour can get in.

Then in a pot with chili, garlic and olive oil and cook until all is red in colour.

Tip - use a rolling pin along the length of the legs and fins to get the meat out.

• Thanks 1

For blue swimmers, I normally cook them whole in salt water as per Jewhunter above. The delicate meat is fiddly to extract, but very delicious. 

For mud crabs, with a bit more meat, I have used Ryder's recipe here for chili mud crab. It's delicious, and you can make it as hot or mild as you like. Give a nice taste texture for the sauce. 

• Thanks 1