Wyong River - My Nemisis

Grantm

Wyong River - My arch rival and nemesis.

I just wanted to post my thoughts and experiences on this river and hope someone can help shed some light.

I have only land based fished this river from the most accessible spots in search of Bream and EP. I know the fish are there but cant crack the right method.

What I know about the river ( or think I know )

The winter months have been really quiet, cant see any fish in the shallows at all. Whether the fish are there but deeper remains to be seen.

The summer months even now, Bream can be seen schooling up in the shallows and along the rivers edges along with dozens of other assorted baitfish, the river seems alive.

The river is a dark stain typical of a tree lined river with many fallen trees leaving the bottom heavily snagged in parts. Bugger all tidal flow but enough to keep the water moving for most of the river albeit very slowly. Not sure of the average depth being land based but about two to three meters max in the parts i fish.

Fishing it.

Very tough for me indeed which is why it is my arch rival. Made more frustrating by the fact I can see the fish and know they are there, but seldom hook up.

Ive tried everying I know to do well. Currently the lightest gear possible seems better, for me that is a 4 pound, two meter long trace with a jighead size of 1/20 to unweighted. Heavier jigheads are destined to get snagged in this river, also if worked along the bottom dont expect it to come back without a branch attached to it or at all.

As I said I have never done well here but the most hits and follows have come from a faster retreive worked close to the surface, using Hawgs and Watermelon BM's. Ive tried gulps, all kind of grubs in different colours, BM's, Squidgees, worm types etc etc etc. Ive tried prawn immitations including Prawnstars ( although they are destined to snag ) havent yet tried a DOA Shrimp cause I cant found any, tried them all to no avail. or with any consistancy. BTW only ever used lures here never tried bait and probably wont.

Hardbodys. Tried a few but not a lot as the ones I try have seen no action at all as yet. SX40,48, Surface poppers and various other baitfish immitations. Nothing. Scents - tried em all. Also tried various resin heads and spinner blades too.

I have learnt to keep moving though. After a few casts in the one spot the fish definately move if they are not interested. Walk ten meters and there they are again, in the the shallows up against the bank. Nearly all of the hits I have had have only come on the first or second cast in the one spot.

Time of day.

Only fished this river in the daytime mostly between 8.00am and 4.00 pm which could also be an issue as ive never tried a sunrise or sunset session.

One theory is that these fish are educated to extent. Like when you go to any coastal town there is always a population of large Bream living under the local public wharves and no one can seem to catch them. They seem to become very particular in the hard fished areas which is why they are still there I suppose. Same goes with this river I think. The places you can get too are few and far between from land and are hard fished by many people. Id would be interesting too see if more secluded or unfished spots get a better result.

Final words.

Love to fish it by boat but will continue until I succed from the bank and find out how to nail these wiley Bream. This place does hold EP's but this could be harder than the Bream at this stage. Will try some earlier amd later starts as well as deeper retrevies using worm hooks.

Any ideas as to why these fish are relctant to play ball would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you fro reading my waffle. :biggrin2:

Edited by Grantm

Im sure you must be frustrated to say the least

Lure selection try and match what there feeding on. Maby you should baitfish and catch a bream and check there stomaches. Lure selection i would try some some ball tails by echo products ive had success on these recently. Also if your fishing sandflats maby you should try 2 pound flurocarbon leader light drags and a nice bendy rod are the order of the day and make sure you use 2 meters of trace maby there spotting your brade.

I hope this helps good luck.

Id have to say they feed prodominantly on baitfish, prawns, and whatever grubs fall out of the trees. No oyster racks or that type of thing in this river. Live prawns are apparently a killer in this river ive heard, especially on EP's.

Not really sand flats im talking, more the edge of the river which has steep, tree lined banks, with just a small sandy area close in. Schools come in to within a couple of feet of ther bank in some spots.

Yep i think i might try even lighter leader too. I know Jethro has mentioned in the past to go super light, although the water is so damn dark youd think it wouldnt matter.

Cheers

G'day Grant

It can be a real frustrating place to fish, especially shore based.

Your right, things were very tough (at least for me) over winter and we have struggled to find fish over the last few months, noit just in the creek. So much so that I think I have lost my Mojo. We have started to see a few more fish over the last month or so but they have been tight up in the shallows and very spooky.

Your technique, tackle, etc all sounds like it should be working but being shore based can make things very difficult.

I know I have said it before but I will have to get you out on the boat one arvo and see if we can get a few. I will send you a PM.

G'day Grant

It can be a real frustrating place to fish, especially shore based.

Your right, things were very tough (at least for me) over winter and we have struggled to find fish over the last few months, noit just in the creek. So much so that I think I have lost my Mojo. We have started to see a few more fish over the last month or so but they have been tight up in the shallows and very spooky.

Your technique, tackle, etc all sounds like it should be working but being shore based can make things very difficult.

I know I have said it before but I will have to get you out on the boat one arvo and see if we can get a few. I will send you a PM.

Sounds like a good idea, maybe ill break the curse and you will rekindle your mojo :1prop:

Ive been looking forward to fishin this system for a long time now.. its easy to get in a rut and fish the same system continuously. I vowed that when i got my new boat that i would give wyong a go... just looks the goods to me.. monster flatties i reckon

Hi Grantm, Wyong did fish quite tough this year.IN the past an average day is around 30 fish of mixed species.Normally when i fish the river ill keep moving until i find good concentrations of bait. This includes mullet, herring shrimp and whitebait mainly.Ive caught plenty of bream under neath mid river herring schools just sinking the lure beneath them in deep water.Sometimes, particularly when it is dry the fish are way way upstream, up around the high school , for instance.Keep your eyes peeled for bait and keep moving around constantly. A normal days fishing may see 10 or more kilometres of river searched to find the bream and ep's. Once you catch a single EP then work the area thoroughly,keep changing lures often . Typically the Eps will stay in the same spot and you should catch them in the one area over a few consecutive days.

4 pound leader is fine and the standard BM's flies and 35mm hardbodies all work well.Wyong can be very tough to fish at times and can leave you promising to never return. Cheers.

Ive been looking forward to fishin this system for a long time now.. its easy to get in a rut and fish the same system continuously. I vowed that when i got my new boat that i would give wyong a go... just looks the goods to me.. monster flatties i reckon

Edited by stix

I know how you feel Grant. I have the same relationship with Dora Creek.

I fished it land based a few times when I was on holidays last year for nothing. Not even a single bump. Around the rail bridge was particularly frustrating because I could see bream schooling up to chew on the pylons but I couldn't tempt them with any of my offerings. Many times I would spook them with a wayward cast as well.

That was a fair while ago now, and I think my tackle and technique has improved quite a bit since then, so I might have to head back and see if I can conquer the place.

I guess that sort of relationship is what makes fishing the fascinating past time that it is. It frustrates the hell out of you at times, then you crack it and get that big adrenalin rush. Brilliant! :thumbup:

Shane

:1fishing1: