There is a PLOT afoot!

On 4/6/2018 at 8:21 AM, big Neil said:

So Jewdreamer (aka "stuff up record holder") finally arrived at my place to go fishing. He was very late and full of excuses, like the generator blew up and they had to get another one (as if). Anyway, benefit of the doubt, here's a picture of him arriving into my back yard.IMG_9560rs.thumb.jpg.23d8703a224ba07a0d34f6ecc8945d73.jpg

I must admit one thing...he certainly looked the part. He had one of these suave, city slicker angling shirts on and a rod and reel that were last seen in the movie JAWS. Being the kindly country dude that I am, I let it ride without comment.5ac6986468e82_IMG_0231(2).thumb.JPG.86b9a1ed4220893b920e949a10d2895b.JPG

After some pleasantries, we headed to the river where the water level was LOW and the current was NIL. Talk about being ill-prepared, he'd also forgotten the carton of beer and the case of wine. I thought to myself "this city slicker has no idea how hot it gets out here, we'll probably die of thirst and be found drifting around, in a few months time". So I let that ride too. Undeterred we launched the boat into the shallows and set of to the Murrumbidgee FADS.

More to follow...WATCH THIS SPACE.  (Over to you city slicker) bn

TO CONTINUE THE STORY:

Day one (Easter Saturday). On the way to the FAD I got Chris to troll a lure as we cruised downstream from the Narrandera boat ramp. We chatted as we stealthily trolled the #1 Stumpjumper (Bumble Bee) past some submerged stumps. Only minutes later and Chris scored his first Murray Cod. Not a great fight but the erstwhile city slicker manoeuvred the fish to the net, with a high level of skill being demonstrated. Not a bad first Cod, going about 50cms. After a picture, it was released to get bigger.IMG_0231rs.thumb.jpg.5ebf6d50e1c85e35791c39585c1738e0.jpg

Eventually, we found our way to a good spot for a bit of bait fishing and we loaded up our 2 rods each, with either shrimps or cheese and relaxed in the afternoon sunshine. As expected we managed a few smallish Cod on both the cheese and the shrimps...nothing big but good fun trying to keep them out of the snags once hooked.IMG_0235rs.thumb.jpg.e17ef1df5bbef209a78447bb402393d4.jpg

Now Chris was on a mission. He had brought these little frog surface lures with him and was determined to catch a Cod or Yellowbelly on them. I being something of a realist said: "you won't get anything in the middle of the day with those things". One thing that all good anglers have to possess is a determination to try to beat the odds, no matter how high they are stacked against you. So he sets about using these frogs, which had a fantastic action. I continued fishing by chucking a spinnerbait into the stumps. I have to say that he was very determined and the poor imitation frog was whizzing left, right and centre, all over the Murrumbidgee. Alas though the fish were not playing and he settled down to trolling the Stumpjumper again, catching another smallish Cod. Result for day one was Chris 4 Cod, bn 4 Cod.

Day two (Easter Sunday). The area which we tried on Sunday tends to get hammered a bit as it's nearer to town and has easy access. Nevertheless, we set off upstream and chucked a whole heap of different lures, spinnerbaits and (you guessed it) miniature frogs around the stumps. It was always going to be a tough day but we still got runs on the board. Chris got 1 Cod and I got 1 with the very last cast using a spinnerbait. IMG_0277rs.thumb.jpg.c091e69ba8cfbf7b03315491308e5770.jpgIMG_0278rs.thumb.jpg.778ad2da1b84ad14a5d0fce724c8eb94.jpg

It was great to see Chris and return the favour. He and his mate Ralph took me for a trip on the Georges River some time back and we had a good day with lots of stories and a few fish thrown in, too. Thanks for reading, bn

IMG_0233rs.jpg

IMG_0239rs.jpg