No kings but a welcome bycatch

wise one

Fished livies for kings at Seaforth Bluff this am. Unfortunately no kings but after a torrid 50 minute fight on an 8lb spin stick managed this lovely longtail tuna!

307363EB-4083-484A-A4AE-B67B20BF6875.jpeg

Edited by wise one
Typo
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Welster said:

That would of been heaps of fun on 8lb. Good work landing it.

50 minutes of the rod bent like a piece of spaghetti.  Running 20lb braid and a 30lb flouro trace to an 8/0.  Not brave - just sporting ?

20 hours ago, big Neil said:

Aptly named "wise one". You must have used a lot of wisdom to play such a fish for 50 minutes...and patience too. Very well done, bn

Paitience absolutely.  

An old but true statement is that the time your line breaks is when your patience runs out.

With a poweful fish on light gear if you can survive the first long runs the fish will generally settle down and you can up the pressure.  I also use judicious finger pressure to the side of the spool to increase the drag carefully during the pump and wind.

The biggest concern with a long fight is the trace wearing through or the hook hole wearing larger and the hook dislodging.  Use of quality trace line and smooth angling help to prevent these occurring.

Hopefully this tuna was not “alone” and a few other Fishraiders may get get lucky over the next couple of weeks!

• Like 1

On 02/04/2018 at 5:34 PM, wise one said:

50 minutes of the rod bent like a piece of spaghetti.  Running 20lb braid and a 30lb flouro trace to an 8/0.  Not brave - just sporting ?

were u using 8lb line or 20lb lol. 8lb line would have easily snapped... correct me if im reading it wrong.

Great catch! i fish around seaforth now and then but never see monster like this